UAB art students in the White House, December 1994. First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton invited college students from around the country to create ornaments depicting the “Twelve Days of Christmas,” the chosen theme for the holiday season. Ornaments submitted by the UAB students were displayed on a 19-foot tree in the Blue Room. The UAB students were given a private tour of the White House as thanks for their contributions.
Image ID: P7.4.1, #1324
Mervyn H. Sterne Library, circa 1975. The library was formally dedicated in May 1973 as part of UAB’s new University College campus. It was officially rededicated on October 23, 1974, as the Sterne Library in memory of a prominent local civic leader, Civil Rights activist, and UAB supporter.
Image ID: P8.1.1, #0049
John F. Kennedy Exhibit, September 1964. Following the 1963 death of President Kennedy, some of his personal papers and memorabilia toured America. Administrators at the Medical Center were responsible for the display being exhibited in Birmingham on September 16-17 in the gymnasium of the Ft. Mortimer H. Jordan National Guard Armory (later UAB’s Mortimer Jordan Hall).
Image ID: P1, #299e
Dean Roy Kracke at his desk, circa 1945. Dr. Roy Kracke, became the first dean of the new medical school in Birmingham on August 1, 1944. He had one year to set up the four-year school in the crowded Jefferson Hillman Hospital complex, and the first new faculty were hired by the end of the year. Junior students began clinical training in June 1945. Faculty and staff were moved from Tuscaloosa in September and classes for freshmen began on October 8, 1945.
Image ID: MC51, #4843
President S. Richardson Hill, Jr., signs the first pledge card for the new UAB Benevolent Fund, 1984. The fund was established in 1984, and in July Dr. Virginia D. Gauld (right) was selected as first president of the UAB Faculty and Staff Benevolent Fund Council, a new 32-member group to oversee UAB’s charitable giving campaign.
Image ID: P7.4.1, #2736
Image ID: P7.4.1, #1413
Spain Rehabilitation Center opens, April 26, 1964. Hospital Administrator Matthew F. McNulty, Jr. (right), tours Frank E. and Margaret Cameron Spain through the new center named in their honor while hospital staff demonstrate a circular treatment bed. The Spains donated half a million dollars to help fund the Medical Center's rehabilitation facility and the center was officially opened during ceremonies held April 25-26, 1964.
Image ID: P7.2.7, #1549
Image ID: P7.2.7, #1894
For all Distinguished Faculty Lecturers, see the chronological history of UAB available at http://www.uab.edu/archives/chron
Photo ID: P7.4.2, #0015