College Leadership CouncilTHE COLLEGE LEADERSHIP COUNCIL
The Mission of the College Leadership Council is to provide effective communication between the community and the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) in order to foster a vital and mutually beneficial relationship between the College and the community that it serves. The College Leadership Council consists of alumni and friends who wish to advance the UAB College of Arts and Sciences by advocating for the College and supporting the College’s priority initiatives.
The College Leadership Council serves in an advisory capacity to the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, with members also serving as representatives for the College in the recruitment of students and in the placement of students in internships, service learning opportunities, and other activities that enrich student experiences. The Council also works to establish relationships between faculty and community members in an effort to advance research and teaching in the College. The Council provides an important means of communication of College events and activities to the community. In turn, the College benefits from the wisdom, experience, and connections of the Council members.
Specific roles and responsibilities of the Leadership Council are as follows:
- Attend Leadership Council meetings and other College of Arts and Sciences sponsored events
- Serve as a liaison between the College and various sectors of the community
- Identify ways in which the community can support the College in achieving its mission
- Work with the Dean and department chairs to promote the College, build its recognition and prestige, and assist College endeavors to obtain financial support for its initiatives
- Support College priorities with an annual financial contribution of $1,000 or greater toward the College Fund
THE COLLEGE FUND
The College Fund provides funding throughout the College in three key areas: Innovation - providing funding for innovative ideas, projects, or programs in faculty research and scholarship; Transformation - providing funding for unique student experiences such as study away, honors programs, and undergraduate research; and Excellence - recognizing outstanding faculty and students through scholarships, fellowships, and faculty and student awards. The Dean will make expenditures from this fund with consultation and advice from the College Leadership Council.
For more information on the College Leadership Council, please contact the College of Arts and Sciences Office of Development at (205) 934-5643 or contact any member of our Development Staff.