Graduate Program At A Glance
- Creative Writing: 30 hours of coursework; successful defense of a Creative Writing thesis.
- Literature: 30 hours of coursework; successful defense of a masters thesis or completion of five Area Exams.
- Rhetoric & Composition: 30 hours of coursework; successful defense of a masters thesis or completion of five Area Exams.
- Time to complete: The program is designed to take two academic years for full-time students.
- Cost: Tuition and fees can be found on the UAB Students website.
Why UAB?We have a fine faculty, including many professors who publish and present their scholarship in venues all over the world. At UAB you are assured access to faculty who are not only excellent teachers but are also influential in the field on a national and even international scale.
What's more, UAB is located in the heart of Birmingham, the largest city in Alabama. It offers an array of cultural activities and employment opportunities that would be the envy of many other universities. In addition, since UAB is a large and vibrant research university, we have excellent library facilities and other campus support for graduate student activities and graduate student life.
And most important: over the last few years many graduate programs in English have split apart, with the rhetoric/composition people approaching their subject matter and coursework in a mode completely different from the literature people, and both areas completely removed from the creative writers. At UAB, our emphasis is inclusion and integration. Students pursuing a theme in Rhetoric and Composition will often be sitting next to students writing Creative theses — all in a course in Literature. Our effort has been to knit such diverse students and approaches together such that they illuminate and insprie one another. The result is that a UAB Master of Arts offers students a more comprehensive and diverse approach to the study of English than is available from a more fragmented and specialized program.