The EMSAP application is necessary for students wishing to apply to the Early Medical, Early Dental, or Early Optometry School Acceptance Programs. You may enroll in EMSAP alongside additional Honors College options at UAB; however, this application will not automatically qualify you for admission to other Honors College opportunities.
ApplyingYou must be admitted to UAB as a first-time freshman no later than December 1, 2015 in order to apply for EMSAP. Please prepare the following items for upload in the next screen. You will not be able to log back in to this application once you submit it, so be sure you have everything ready before you proceed to the next step. Essays and resumes must be submitted in .pdf format, and should not include pictures or unusual fonts. You can visit this site for instructions on converting your documents to .pdf format. Acrobat Reader software, which allows you to open and read a .pdf file, can be downloaded here. Please note that changing a document extension to .pdf does not create a true .pdf document.
- Resume: Prepare a resume listing your activities, interests, and accomplishments in high school.
- Essay: Write an essay of no more than 500 words using the following question as a guideline. Please tailor your essay to reflect your interest in UAB and the EMSAP program and include your name and student number (B0XXXXXXX) on your essay:
- Describe the background experiences you have and future goals that you hope to attain that may make you uniquely qualified to be a future physician, dentist, or optometrist.
- Recommendation Letters: Please have ready the names, email addresses and phone numbers of two people who will provide letters of recommendation in support of your application to EMSAP. You will be prompted for this information in a confirmation message following the submission of your EMSAP application. These recommendations can be from teachers, counselors, employers, or anyone else who can speak to your potential in EMSAP at UAB. Please make sure that these individuals know something about this program and can comment on why you would be a successful candidate for this program. Note that EMSAP has an early deadline and that this may be the first letter of recommendation such people write for you for college, so please request your letters well in advance of the deadline.
- In order to be considered for these three programs, you must have an ACT score of at least 30 (1340 math and critical reading SAT) and a GPA of at least 3.5. Applications not meeting these minimum qualifications will not be reviewed. Please keep in mind that admission to EMSAP is highly selective with freshmen entering in the Fall of 2015 having an average ACT score of 33.7 and a High School GPA of 4.49.
- Required High School Courses: 4 years of English, 4 years of mathematics, 1 year of chemistry or physics, and 1 year of biology
- Only U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents are eligible to apply.
- You may apply to only one of the three EMSAP programs.
- The deadline for submitting these materials is December 15th. All required materials (resume, essay, and two recommendation letters) must be received by UAB no later than December 15 in order for your EMSAP application to be considered complete. You will not be considered for EMSAP without a complete application.
- You must be admitted to the University before you can be considered for these opportunities. Please be sure you complete UAB's Application for Undergraduate Admission as soon as possible, if you haven't already.
Because you work with patients, all UAB students in the Joint Health Sciences programs and in the Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, Optometry, Public Health, Nursing, and Health Professions are required to be immunized against Tetanus, Diphtheria, Varicella (Chickenpox), Mumps, Rubeola (Red Measles), Rubella (German Measles), and Hepatitis B. In lieu of being re-immunized, such individuals may present proof of having had such immunizations. Proof must be their official medical documentation or certificates of immunization or positive titer. Students must provide proof of immunization prior to being admitted, attending, enrolling, or participating in UAB academic, research, or clinical programs and activities.
Selection and Admission Process
EMSAP applicants are interviewed by members of the School of Medicine Admission Committee on one day each year. If you miss this interview date, there is no second chance. Demonstrated leadership and motivation, along with outstanding academic credentials, are qualities the School of Medicine Admissions Committee is looking for.