The UAB School of Engineering is comprised of five departments, listed below with the degrees awarded from each:
- Department of Biomedical Engineering (BS, MS, PhD)
This is the only accredited BME program in the State of Alabama.
- Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering (BS, MS, PhD)
The Civil Engineering Program has a Study Abroad Program.
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (BS, MS, PhD Computer Engineering)
Vigorous program expansion has department in unique position to play critical role in developing solutions for health-care problems benefiting society.
- Department of Materials Science and Engineering (BS, MS, PhD)
Has been continuously accredited since 1971 by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
- Department of Mechanical Engineering (BS, MS)
During the next decade and beyond, mechanical engineers will solve problems from productivity to the environment to human rehabilitation.
Although not separate departments, a Master of Engineering (MEng) degree is offered with tracks in the following areas:
- Advanced Safety Engineering and Management (ASEM)
First master’s degree in engineering with safety emphasis to be offered totally online.
- Construction Engineering Management (CEM)
Designed with the working professional in mind, this program instills the necessary skills for success in the complex and competitive built environment.
- Civil Structural Engineering (CSE)
A 19-month program intended for structural work inspectors, civil engineering project managers, structural materials and design innovators, or any project engineers with on-site inspection responsibilities.
- Design and Commercialization (Industrial Scholars Program)
Earn a MEng degree from the School of Engineering and a graduate certificate in technology commercialization through this program. Students will have opportunities to develop products from basic designs to commercial viability in 18 months.
- Information Engineering and Management (IEM)
Executive master's degree available in house or completely online, providing an entrepreneurial focus to engineering and technology
UAB School of Engineering Research Centers and Laboratories conduct world-class, cutting-edge research in numerous areas. These include, but are not limited to, High performance Computing/Modeling and Simulation, Sustainable Engineering Design and Construction, Composite Materials Applications and Development, Metals Processing and Research, Tissue Engineering, Cardiac Rhythm Management, Biomedical Imaging.
Visit each departmental research site to learn more about the breakthroughs being made in the UAB School of Engineering:
- Research in Biomedical Engineering
Biomedical Imaging, Biomedical Implants and Devices, Biomaterials, Implant Biomechanics, Tissue regeneration, Cardiac Electrophysiology, Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, and more.
- Research in Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering
Innovative and sustainable buildings and highway systems, Environmental Engineering, theory and applied analytical methods of transportation systems, traffic engineering, traffic operations and safety, and urban transportation planning.
- Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
Diverse variety spanning microelectronics and embedded systems, signal and image processing, biotechnology, and nanotechnology.
- Research in Materials Science and Engineering
The new Materials Processing and Application Development (MPAD) Laboratory brings leading researchers and cutting edge equipment together to create innovative new materials and processes.
- Research in Mechanical Engineering
Fully utilize information technology in creating, analyzing, managing, and interpreting large-scale data associated with the simulation of mathematical models that describe interacting multi-scale science and engineering phenomena.