Program Details

Cost & Payment


Visiting Campus


To request and pay for a transcript from UAB, visit the Office of the Registrar.

Does IEM offer a PhD? Technically IEM does not have a PhD program, but we work with the Interdisciplinary Engineering (IE) program at UAB.  Visit the IE website, read this article on "The PhD Process," and then set up a meeting with David Littlefield to discuss the process. 

Admission FAQ


How do I apply?
Go to Apply Yourself for the UAB Graduate School and follow the prompts for submitting the application.


Once I start the application, do I have to complete it in the same session?
When you start the application process in Apply Yourself, you will receive a PIN and Password that will allow you to save your work and return to the application later.


Is there an application fee?
Yes, when you have completed your application and are ready to submit it, you can pay your application fee online.


When is the deadline to apply?
The Fall deadline is July 1. The Spring deadline is Nov. 1 This means the application must be submitted to the graduate school, but it does not have to be complete by that date.  If you miss the application deadline, we encourage you to apply as a non-degree seeking student (application fees apply).  If you apply as a non-degree seeking student, you still need to apply as degree seeking (application fees apply).


Is admission to the degree competitive?
Yes. Multiple factors are considered in the admission decision, including prior academic performance, professional experience, and recommendations. Heavy weight is given to your industry experience, and an interview by the admissions team may also be required.


What are the admissions requirements?
Admission to IEM requires an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited university, and work experience as evidenced by your resume and recommendations.


Is the GMAT or GRE required for admission?
No. We do not require a standardized admissions test. Instead the IEM Admissions Committee will review each applicant’s professional and academic background on a case-by case basis to determine eligibility. 

What transcripts are required?  Do they have to be official?
The Graduate School requires original, sealed transcripts be sent from each institution you attended (even if for only one course) directly to the UAB Graduate School;

United States Postal Service:
UAB Graduate School
1720 2nd Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35294-0013

Phone: (205) 934-8227
Fax: (205) 934-8413

Shipping Companies:
UAB Graduate School
1700 University Boulevard
Birmingham, AL 35294-0013

.  It is the responsibility of the applicant to request these from the appropriate institutions and pay any transcript fees required by those schools.  Most colleges have an option to request an official transcript online and pay transcript fees as well. 


UAB Grads may not need to send transcripts. 
If you received your undergraduate degree from UAB and it is your ONLY undergrad institution, you do not have to request a transcript be sent from UAB to UAB.  If you attended any other institutions for your undergrad degree (in addition to UAB), you must request copies of those transcripts be sent to the grad school (even if they were previously sent for your undergrad degree).


Who should I ask for letters of recommendation?
Since admission to IEM is heavily weighted on your industry experience, we suggest that you obtain letters of recommendation from your supervisors and coworkers.  The application allows you to enter names and e-mail addresses and the Graduate School will send an e-mail to them directly.  There's no need to ask them to write a formal letter.


What should I write about in the essay?
The topic of your essay is pre-determined by the Admissions Committee.  Your essay should contain a short paragraph addressing each of the following questions:

  1. Why do you want to be a part of IEM and what do you expect to gain? 
  2. Describe your area(s) of technical expertise. 
  3. Tell us about one major accomplishment and one major setback you have faced in your career and how that impacted you. 
  4. Why will your classmates be glad you are on their team?


How do I upload my introduction video to YouTube and mark it private?
Here are the instructions on YouTube private videos and how to share them


How do I check the status of my application?
Go to Apply Yourself . When you started your application process you should have been sent a PIN and password. Use that information to login and check the status of your application using the “Check the status of my application” tab.


How long does it take to process my application?
Once the application is complete (application fee is paid, transcripts received, video submitted, recommendation letters submitted and essay uploaded), the IEM Admissions Committee will then review the application. 


I live outside of Alabama. Can I still participate?
Yes. There are no out-of-state tuition fees for out of state applicants. You can pursue the degree on campus or online.


I am on an International Visa, am I eligible to participate?
Most people are, but to be sure, please contact the UAB ISSS Office by e-mail at isss@uab.edu or by phone at (205) 934-3328.


What if I missed the graduate school’s application deadline?
There is an option to apply as a non-degree seeking graduate student.  Check the Graduate School website for actual deadlines, but it is typically 2 weeks prior to the start of the semester.


I was admitted as a non-degree seeking student and need to become degree-seeking.  What do I need to do?
You will need to complete a degree seeking graduate application through Apply Yourself (and pay an additional application fee).  You will also need to submit recommendations, essays and request official transcripts for your file to be evaluated.

Return to Top

Program Details FAQ

When can I start?
IEM admits for Fall and Spring Semesters. You need to submit your application by July 1 for the Fall Semester, or Nov. 1 for the Spring Semester, in order to be admitted. 

Can I complete the degree online?
Yes. In addition to the on campus meetings, the IEM degree can be received without ever stepping foot on campus.

Is this a full-time degree?
No.  Each fall you will register for 3 courses (7-8 hours) and in the Spring and Summer, you will register for 2 courses (6 hours).  Full-time graduate status is defined as 9 hours.

IEM offers special topics courses each semester which do not apply toward the degree requirements, but compliment the material you are learning in the degree.  You may also take other courses at UAB to get the extra hours if you need to be full-time (typically required for International students and/or for students receiving financial aid).

Is the degree accredited?
UAB is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) to award degrees at the baccalaureate, master’s, specialist’s, and doctoral levels.

Is the degree for engineers only?
No. Preference is given to applicants with degrees in engineering, mathematics and science.  Significant industry experience in these fields is also preferred.

Are programming skills required?
No. Courses in IEM do not require programming experience.

I already have coursework toward a Master’s Degree; can I transfer those credits to the IEM program?
We are not able to accept transfer credit into IEM since the courses are designed so that they build upon the previous semester.

Do I have to take the listed courses?
All listed courses are required to graduate and are offered once per year. 

What is the schedule of the on-campus meetings?
IEM admits a new class each Fall and Spring semester.  A three-day seminar at UAB in August kicks off each Fall. After that, classes meet approximately one Friday and Saturday a month from 8 am - 5 pm on campus.

Visit the IEM Schedule page for actual meeting dates.

How are the courses taught?
Every course and every instructor are different.  Many assignments are team-based and may include clients that are not local to Birmingham.

What is the usual class size?
The average class size is 25-30.

How much time can I expect to spend on IEM outside the classroom?
Our most disciplined project management clients will tell you that they spend about one hour per day working on IEM coursework and projects.

Are the classes being live streamed or recorded for later use?
All of our courses are live streamed and broadcast through Canvas to the online clients so they can attend in real time with in-house clients. This broadcast is recorded, and posted in Canvas so that any client that would like to come back and review the course content later, is able to do that.

Return to Top


Cost & Payment FAQ

What is the cost of the degree?
The total cost of IEM is approximately $25,000 for the degree. This includes 33 semester hours of credit over 13 courses resulting in a MEng (Master of Engineering) degree. An estimate of the per term costs can be found on the Tuition and Fees page.

When is payment due?
UAB requires 50% of the balance 10 days before the start of each term.  The remaining balance is typically due about one month into the semester.  For actual payment deadlines visit UAB's When to Pay website. Students who do not make the initial payment of 50 percent of their account balance 10 days before the first class day of the term will be dropped from their courses for non-payment and will need to enroll again.

Are payment options available?

UAB has two payment deadlines each semester.  One is 10 days before the start of each term (50% of balance due) and the remaining balance is due approximately one month into the semester.

Tuition Management Systems offers choices for financing your education including monthly payment plans, education  loans, e-payment options and one-on-one education payment counseling.


What forms of payment are acceptable?
Online payment for courses can be made through BlazerNET.  UAB accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.  Payment may also be made in person at the UAB Student Accounting Office,Now located in the Lister Hill Library, Ground Floor. The street address is:  1700 University Blvd Birmingham, AL 35294-0013

Is financial aid available?
We suggest that you contact UAB Financial Aid for more information.

Do you offer scholarships?
IEM offers one competitive full-tuition and fees scholarship for one new client each Fall semester.  IEM also offers scholarships for early admission to the program.  Visit our scholarship information page for more details.

Will I have to pay out of state fees since I do not live in Alabama?
There are no out of state tuition fees associated with UAB School of Engineering online degrees.

What is the Student Health Services Insurance Fee?
This is a fee that provides health insurance through student health services. You can waive the fee if you meet certain criteria by completing this form

UAB Employees:  If you are employed at UAB, you may be eligible for Educational Assistance.   According to Policy 319 (Educational Assistance Program), tuition is paid for all employees with over six (6) months of service.  For UAB employees, the tuition portion should be handled automatically without your having to file any paperwork. Note: IEM fees, online fees and books/software are not covered under this program.


Return to Top


Course Registration FAQ

How do I get a BlazerID?
Visit the BlazerID Central page for instructions.

How do I register for courses?
Log into BlazerNET with your BlazerID.

I am trying to register and it asks for an Alternate PIN or Registration Access Code (RAC).
You must obtain a new code EVERY semester to register.  If you are an IEM client, you will receive this information by e-mail prior to registration each semester.  If you are not an IEM client, please contact your academic advisor.

I cannot register because of a hold on my account – who do I need to call?
There are many different kinds of holds so we need to know which one so we can connect you with the department that can help clear this up.  Contact IEM with the exact wording of the error/hold.

Immunization Hold -We suggest you contact your local doctor to see if they have proof of immunization records or maybe your high school.  This is required for all applicants (even if you are participating online).

What books and software are required for my courses?
The list of required/recommended books and software is provided by the faculty and is e-mailed to each client prior to each semester.  Books for the current semester can be viewed on the UAB Barnes & Noble Bookstore website.

Where do I purchase books and software for the IEM courses?
You can purchase books and software from the UAB Barnes & Noble Bookstore, off campus bookstores or from your favorite bookseller.

I plan to participate in the classes 100% online – how do I get my assignments?
Most IEM courses use an online learning management system called Canvas.  You must have a BlazerID to log into the system.

I need to be a full-time student (typically for financial aid eligibility or because I am in the US on a Visa).  What else can I take?
The required courses for obtaining the IEM degree are not enough for you to have full-time student status.  Each semester IEM offers a Special Topics Course and the topic changes each semester.  This is typically a 3-hour course and IEM special fees and UAB online fees are assessed on this course.  Special Topics courses do not apply toward degree requirementsYou may also select from any other courses that UAB offers. 


Return to Top

Visiting Campus FAQ


How do I get to the UAB campus?
The UAB Campus map contains commonly visited locations at UAB.  Most IEM classes meet in the Business-Engineering Complex (BEC) which is located at 1150 10th Avenue South. The IEM offices are located in the Hoehn Engineering Building, which is located at 1075 13th Street South, Hoehn 370.  


Where can I park and do I need a permit?
Parking at UAB can sometimes be a challenge.  Lot 15 is designated for student parking on campus but a parking permit (hang tag) is required to park in these lots or you will be ticketed.  There is some metered and street parking available around BEC and Hoehn, but it is very limited.  Visit the UAB Parking website to purchase a permit.

Do I need a student ID?
The UAB CampusCard (OneCard) is your official University ID card. 

Can I connect to UAB’s wireless network?
UAB's wireless network, UABWiFi, is available in convenient areas on campus, UAB provides WiFi access to all students free of charge.  To access UABWiFi a user must have a capable wireless device, a BlazerID and WEP Key.   

Is there a dress code for attending classes?
The dress for all meetings is business casual.

Return to Top