UAB is a research university and academic health center that discovers, teaches and applies knowledge for the intellectual, cultural, social and economic benefit of Birmingham, the state and beyond.
It is the mission of the Office for Equity and Diversity to increase, retain and enhance faculty, student and staff diversity at all levels of the University and to ensure equity.
At UAB, diversity is the full range of human difference and potential that manifests itself in individual members of the campus community. Included in this range are many differences – race, gender, ethnicity, age, culture, national origin, religious belief, physical abilities, sexual orientation, socioeconomic class, lifestyle preference, political conviction and any other distinction. Equity is meant to include equal access to employment and educational opportunities and to deal fairly and equally with all members of the UAB community.
- Fully implement and regularly assess UAB policies related to affirmative action and equal opportunity.
- Explore creative ways to promote diversity and a university climate that is inviting and sustaining for all and to help all members of the community to understand and learn from each other.
- Actively foster and maintain effective external relations and collaborations in the city, state and nation that enhance support for programs of diversity and equity.
- Develop and implement activities to enhance external support for equity and diversity programs with particular emphasis on minority medical programs, undergraduate scholarships and graduate fellowships.
- Work with the Office of the Provost and deans to monitor academic achievement for comparisons of target groups of students within the university with a goal of assisting units with the elimination of disparities.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure that African Americans, underrepresented minorities and females are represented on search committees and in candidate pools.
Work with Human Resource Management and other units on ways to educate faculty, students and staff on the importance of diversity and on issues of equitable treatment of individuals and groups regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation or other classifications.
- Research, monitor and assess the progress of all equity and diversity initiatives and programs at UAB and provide an annual report to the provost and president.
- Develop and implement strategies to ensure that all individuals holding positions of authority and responsibility understand and are sensitive to issues of diversity and see diversity as a strength of UAB.
- Actively promote faculty, student and staff diversity at all levels of the university and promote diversity as a criterion for excellence.