Summary of the January 13, 2009 Faculty Senate Meeting
Chair Warren Martin announced the following items:
1) Information about the new Faculty Senate awards will be located in Appendix G of the Faculty Senate Constitution and Bylaws.
2) Provost reported no Termination for Cause Review Panel and no Grievance Committee formed in the last quarter. The report has been forwarded to Stephen Moser as Chair of the Faculty Affairs Committee.
3) Faculty Senate meeting on March 10, 2009 is the same week as Spring Break.
4) Plagiarism is the number one concern of faculty members across the nation. Dr. Bryan Noe, Dean of the Graduate School, is working on this issue through the development of a seminar on plagiarism which has been presented to some 400 students with a strong focus on scientific integrity. Dr. Philip Way, Associate Provost for Undergraduate Programs, is also working on this issue through the Undergraduate Programs Council and a special committee led by Dr. Marilyn Kurata. The goal is to try to take a strategic view of the problem and therefore address long range problems.
5) Faculty Senate elections process has begun and nominations are needed for senate officers, senators, and FPPC representatives.
6) University of Alabama System Board of Trustees meeting is scheduled for February 5-6, 2009 at UAB.
President Carol Garrison announced the following items:
1) UAB has been selected for the 2008 Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
2) Deans and Vice Presidents have been working on three year plans to address the budget reductions. These plans will be finalized over the next few months and will be discussed with the President and Provost. The university is also working on the impact of the economy on student enrollment and retention, the articulation of the importance of higher education to the legislature, and the issues of concern to the health system.
UAB Health System
Dr. Will Ferniany, CEO of the Health System, provided information about the UAB Health System. Topics covered were vision and mission, goals, current environment, upcoming challenges, and bridge to the future program. The bridge to the future program includes five initiatives focusing on alignment and culture, organization, quality, operating margin, and outreach.
Dr. Nancy Dunlap, Chief of Staff of the Kirklin Clinic, provided information about the Acute Care Clinic. The Acute Care Clinic is a new initiative developed by a task force from the Kirklin Clinic in response to the results of the Faculty Senate survey on fringe benefits. The clinic is designed to offer ready access to primary and acute care by nurse practitioners for UAB employees who use university clinical services. A pilot program has been in effect since November 2008 for employees affiliated with the Kirklin Clinic and will be opened up to UAB faculty in the future.
Curriculum and Research Committee Report
Chair of the Curriculum and Research Committee Sally Anne McInerny reported on three upcoming faculty development workshops related to scholarly communication: Copyright Basics and Tips (February 12, 2009 from 11:30 to 1:00), NIH Public Access Policy (March 5, 2009 from 11:00 to 1:00), and Harvard University Open Access Policy for Scholarly Research (April 2, 2009 from 11:00 to 1:00).
Faculty Affairs Committee Report
Chair of the Faculty Affairs Committee Stephen Moser reported on the review of quarterly grievance reports from the Provost and the status of recommendations from the ad hoc committee on administrator evaluations.
Faculty Policies and Procedures Committee Report
Past-Chair of the Faculty Senate and Chair of the Faculty Policies and Procedures Committee Pat Greenup reported that the committee is continuing its review of year 2 policies.
Senate Representatives to University-wide Committees
Senate representative to the UAB Commission on the Status of Women Joy Deupree reported that the commission is starting a new leadership term and a meeting was held on December 19, 2008. Topics discussed at the meeting were related to the four committees which are representation and compensation, campus climate and environment, communication and outreach, and membership. She mentioned that the Suits for Success clothing drive is the week of January 12-16, 2009.
Chair Warren Martin announced that a presentation on the online disclosure forms by Harlan Sands is scheduled for the February senate meeting.
There was some discussion about the online disclosure forms related to email notification messages and filters, textbook task force related to feedback from UAB authors, student athletes related to admission and scholarships, emergency room related to training and alternate locations, and proration.
Nominations for Senators and FPPC Representatives and Senate Chair-Elect and Secretary are due on January 30, 2009.
The next senate meeting is February 10, 2009 in the Administration Building Penthouse CR1, the next executive committee meeting is January 28, 2009, the next executive committee meeting with the President and Provost is February 3, 2009, and the next FPPC meeting is January 16, 2009.
UAB Faculty Senate – http://www.uab.edu/fsenate/home.html
Secretary Jennifer Long submits this draft summary of the minutes and a more complete record will appear on the senate page after approval at the February senate meeting.