Summary Minutes of the June 8, 2010 Faculty Senate Meeting
Chair Mark Lockhart reported to the Senate concerning:
· Progress on generation of report for the August Senate Open Forum topics of concern and this report will be presented to Senate at the July meeting
· Progress on generation of report for the October Faculty Forum topics of concern will be reviewed by the Executive Committee on June 23
· Work is continuing with Sabrina Hearn, General Auditor with UAB System concerning the Ethics Hotline and recommendations for revisions to process and web site http://www.uab.edu/ethics/faqs.html
· Generation of a report related to gender/salary analysis is ongoing with generation of recommendations to administration
· Senate Ad Hoc Research Subcommittee report has been reviewed by the Executive Committee and forwarded to Vice President Richard Marchase with a report expected [charge, committee report and recommendations and administration response] at the July Senate meeting
· Recognitions by the Senate Executive Committee
1. Commendation for Service to the Senate
Resolution Commending the Service of Jennifer Long
for the Distinguished Service Award Recognition
by the Faculty Senate Executive Committee
WHEREAS, Jennifer Long, M.L.S., Senior Assistant Librarian, is a member of the UAB faculty, a Science Librarian and blogger for Science and Technology News with the Mervyn H. Sterne Library; and
WHEREAS, Jennifer Long has served the Faculty Senate as a Senator during 2003-2005, and as an Alternate Senator during 2005-2007; and
WHEREAS, Jennifer Long has served the Faculty Senate as Chair of the Governance and Operations Committee during 2005-2006 and as a member of the SACS Compliance Audit team; and
WHEREAS, Jennifer Long has served the Faculty Senate as the Secretary of the Faculty for three years 2006 – 2009; and
WHEREAS, Jennifer Long served as Chair of the Elections Committee during 2006-2009 and assumed a supportive role for maintaining the Senate Office related to meetings, documents preservation and revisions to Senate web site and links with eReporter and BlazerNet
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED on May 19, 2010 by the Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate of the University of Alabama at Birmingham that it expresses appreciation to Jennifer Long for her distinguished service to the Faculty Senate and the University of Alabama at Birmingham as an active participant with shared governance roles supported by the Faculty Senate.
2. Commendation for Service as a Senate Committee Member
Resolution Commending the Service of Majd Zayzafoon
for the Outstanding Committee Member Award
by the Faculty Senate Executive Committee
WHEREAS, Majd Zayzafoon, M.D., Ph.D., MBA student and Associate Professor of Pathology, is a member of the UAB faculty in the Department of Pathology [Molecular and Cellular Pathology]; is a member of the Pathology Faculty Advisory Council and Co-Leader of the Basic Research Committee for the Center for Metabolic Bone Disease and is the owner and chief operating officer of Novicure Biotechnology that was one of three companies affiliated with UAB to be named as nine finalist in the 2010 Alabama Launchpad business plan competition; and
WHEREAS, Majd Zayzafoon has served the Faculty Senate as an Alternate Senator for 2008-2010 and recently elected as Senator for the 2010-2012 term to represent the Joint Health Sciences faculty ; and
WHEREAS, Majd Zayzafoon has served the Faculty Senate as a Member of the Curriculum and Research Committee and has served as the Chair of the Senate’s Ad Hoc Research Committee charged with addressing concerns identified by UAB faculty related to strategies to enhance the University’s research enterprise; and
WHEREAS, Majd Zayzafoon has served as a leader of the subcommittee of the Curriculum and Research Committee’s grant proposal review process for the Faculty Development Grants Program for the academic year 2009-2010 year; and
WHEREAS, Majd Zayzafoon is currently serving as the Faculty Senate’s representative to the Council for Translational Research and the Clinical Protocol Activation Process
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED on May 19, 2010 by the Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate of the University of Alabama at Birmingham that it expresses appreciation to Majd Zayzafoon for his outstanding service to the Faculty Senate and the University of Alabama at Birmingham in thoughtful and productive collaboration with UAB administrators to address topics related to research processes and improved communications to better achieve the research enterprise goals of the university.
3. Commendation for Service as a New Member 2009 to Senate
Resolution Commending the Service of R. Pat Bucy
for the Outstanding New Senator Recognition
by the Faculty Senate Executive Committee
WHEREAS, R. Pat Bucy, M.D., Ph.D., Professor of Pathology, is a member of the UAB faculty in the Department of Pathology with secondary appointments in Microbiology and Medicine; is the Director of the UAB Hospital Flow Cytometry Laboratory; and
WHEREAS, R. Pat Bucy has served the Faculty Senate as a Senator for one year; and
WHEREAS, R. Pat Bucy has served the Faculty Senate as a Member of the Curriculum and Research Committee and has introduced the topic of scholarly communication as a matter of interest and concern to faculty members, students, and administrators at the university; and
WHEREAS, R. Pat Bucy has attended and initiated as a Faculty Senate representative a series of meetings and inquiries on IT and institutional policies on encryption and technology, and has raised the encryption issue during the Open Forum of the Faculty Senate in August 2010, and has met with the Faculty Senate Executive Committee in January 2010, and has met with the Faculty Senate Executive Committee with the President and Provost in February 2010 and has volunteered to serve as the Senate representative to a Payment Card Industry Committee for UAB/IT; and
WHEREAS, R. Pat Bucy has encouraged the formation of a new advisory committee with faculty representation to the UAB's Office of Information Technology focusing on faculty issues with technology
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED on May 19, 2010 by the Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate of the University of Alabama at Birmingham that it expresses appreciation to R. Pat Bucy for his outstanding service to the Faculty Senate and the University of Alabama at Birmingham in educating faculty members and administrators about topics related to institutional technology policies and in providing forums for discussion about this issue of importance to the university.
· Transfer of Gavel to Incoming Chair Marcus Hickson for 2010-2011 term of the Faculty Senate
President Report – No report as President Carol Garrison was out of town.
Chair Hickson Report:
· Chair Hickson began his term by expressing appreciation to Past-chair Mark Lockhart for his service and leadership of the Senate and the Executive Committee during the past year. The Senate approved the following resolution commending Dr. Lockhart.
Resolution Commending the Service of Mark E. Lockhart, M. D., M. P. H.
WHEREAS, Mark E. Lockhart, M. D., M. P. H., Associate Professor in the Department of Radiology in the School of Medicine at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB), has served as Chair of the Faculty Senate of the University of Alabama at Birmingham for the academic year 2009-2010, and
WHEREAS, Dr. Lockhart received his undergraduate degree from the University of Mississippi in 1991; the M. D. degree from Emory University in 1995; and the Master of Public Health degree in 2002 from the University of Alabama at Birmingham; and
WHEREAS, Dr. Lockhart began his career at the University of Alabama at Birmingham as an Instructor in 2000, where he has directed Radiology Medical Student Education; served as Chief GU Radiology, 2008-present; and
WHEREAS, throughout his tenure Dr. Lockhart has exemplified faculty dedication to the mission of the University of Alabama at Birmingham in teaching, mentoring, research, publishing, and service; and
WHEREAS, Dr. Lockhart’s service has been demonstrated particularly by his outstanding work and diplomacy with the Faculty Senate since 2002, and in such capacities as Chair of the Faculty Affairs Committee, 2005-2008 and chair of the Periodic Career Review and Administrator Evaluations Review Process and the Executive Committee 2002-present; Chair-Elect, 2008-2009; and
WHEREAS, Dr. Lockhart’s dedication to UAB is apparent as he has served on the UAB Radiology Education Committee, 2004-present; the UAB Faculty Policies and Procedures Committee of Medicine, 2003-2005; the Academic Programs Council, 2008-2010; and
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the Faculty Senate of the University of Alabama at Birmingham that it expresses its sincere appreciation to Dr. Mark E. Lockhart for his service as Chair of the Faculty Senate from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, and herewith extends him best wishes for continued success.
· Reported that the College of Arts & Sciences Decanal Search Committee process for identification of faculty members and the service as Chair elect were positive experiences as a role of faculty in shared governance.
· Expressed thanks to members of the Executive Committee for 2009-2010 [Pat Greenup, Secretary; Joan Grant, Chair of Faculty Policies and Procedures; Jeff Graveline, Parliamentarian; Sheri Spaine Long, Past-Chair.]
· Expressed thanks to Chairs of the Senate’s Standing Committees for 2009-2010 [Jeanne Hutchison- Finance; Janelle Chiasera-Governance & Operations; Sue Kim-Faculty Affairs; Kay Clements-Curriculum & Operations]
· Expressed thanks to Senators-at-Large who served on the Executive Committee – Chris Kyle and John Chatham; Senators/Alternates who completed a two year term and to President Garrison, Provost Capilouto, Associate Provosts Claire Peel, Harlan Sands, Philip Way and to Vice Presidents who worked with Senate on specific topics during the year]
· Planned Activities for the 2010-2011 Term will include:
1. Continue work with Sabrina Hearn to modify information on the UAB Ethics Hotline web page and to modify process after a report has been filed
2. Continue monitoring the work of the Textbook Committee
3. Amend the Senate Constitution & Bylaws to address the apportionment of Senators per academic unit to address the implementation of the College of Arts & Sciences; Executive Committee is currently reviewing three options and will report to the Senate; FPPC has submitted recommendations to the Executive Committee for revision to Faculty Handbook and to amend Senate Bylaws
4. Continue to monitor the feedback process by Chairs who were evaluated by faculty using the IDEA process during fall 2009
5. Continue to monitor the work of the Leave Benefits Committee and of the Fringe Benefits Committee concerning vacation/sick time accrual and to monitor the work by Human Resources for the development of a new system for documentation of leave absences from UAB
6. Complete the work by the Ad Hoc Research Subcommittee.
7. Continue work on assessment of effectiveness of shared governance at department, unit and university level; continue development of a recommendation for a shared governance commission to identify recommendations for improved shared governance activities/decision making at all levels
8. Continue working with all Deans and Library Directors to improve communication between administration and faculty
· Update on observations during year as Chair-elect in perspective of stated goals/ideas as a candidate for Chair-elect:
1. Concern about whether or not the Faculty Senate sets its agenda was alleviated by observations of the functions of the Senate and the Executive and the interaction with President Garrison and Provost Capilouto during the year
2. Concern about shared governance practices at the university, unit and department levels is being addressed by ongoing activities of the Senate with more activities planned for this fall [survey; recommendations for commission; faculty forum; potential meetings of the Executive Committee with the Deans and Library Directors]
3. Concern by faculty about the lack of feedback from administrators evaluated by the IDEA instrument and that faculty want to know if the evaluation results are being utilized in the annual evaluation process for administrators evaluated has been addressed by Deans, Library Directors, Provost and Senate of a feedback process that is being implemented
4. Concern for the lack of transparency about budgetary information and decision making was addressed by assistance from Provost Capilouto and Associate Provost Harlan Sands to the Finance Committee; this topic continues to be a concern at the academic unit and department levels; information is available at the Provost’s web page http://main.uab.edu/Sites/provost/facultyresources/; work will continue by the Finance Committee to seek increased faculty involvement with the budgetary processes at unit and department levels
5. Concern for issues related to harassment, intimidation and bullying, reports of such to the Ethics Hotline; concerns still need to be addressed including consideration of a faculty ombudsman or some similar process for peer faculty review before formal grievances filed with Provost; the FPPC is continuing consideration of possible revisions to the Faculty Handbook related to this topic
6. Concern about students’ personal learning responsibilities and the effectiveness of the Early Alert System for undergraduates; the need remains for identifying approaches to motive some students to take more responsibility for their academic performance
The Senate conducted an election of two Senators-at-Large to fill positions on the Executive Committee. The nominees were James Alexander, Alan Druschitz, Kathleen Foley, Kent Kerley, Andrew McKnight, and Rosalia Scripa.
Senators Kent Kerley and Rosalia Scripa were elected and will serve by participating with the two monthly meetings of the Executive Committee with one of these meetings with President Garrison and Provost Capilouto.
Topics discussed during open forum:
· Concerns related to research infrastructure currently being addressed by the Ad Hoc Research Committee have identified a recommendation for the Senate’s Curriculum and Research Committee to be changed to have two independent committees and to have Senators serve on one of the committees associated with primary duties including research/scholarly, teaching undergraduate students, and service on appropriate committees to improve communications among researchers and administration offices with oversight of research activities. This topic is under review by the Executive Committee and the Governance & Operations Committee.
Standing Committee Reports:
Curriculum and Research Committee Report
Faculty Affairs Committee Report
Faculty Policies and Procedures Committee Report
Finance Committee Report
Governance and Operations Committee Report
University Committees with Senate Representatives
Chair Hickson presented the following listing of committee and nominees who have agreed to serve to the Senate for approval. The Senate identifies nominees and submits the names to President Garrison for appointment to the University committees. This process is in accordance with the Senate Constitution and Bylaws.
a. Academic Advising Committee –Jeanne Hutchison
b. Academic Programs Council – Mark Hickson, John Chatham, Majd Zayzafoon
c. Athletic Advisory Committee – Larry Powell
d. Campus Planning Committee – Jeanne Hutchison; Mark Hickson
e. Commission on the Status of Women – Annette Wright
f. Core Curriculum Steering Committee –Joe Burns; Serge Bokobza
g. Diversity Advisory Council –Nianjun Liu
h. Faculty Enrichment Committee – Helen Kim, Pam Murray
i. Fringe Benefits Committee – Jeanne Hutchison; Linda Reed
j. Institutional Biosafety Committee – Pat Greenup
k. Radioisotope and Radiation Safety Committee – Pat Greenup
l. University Safety Committee – Pat Greenup
m. Naming Committee – Mark Hickson
n. Undergraduate Programs Council:
· A&H – James Alexander
· BUS – Susan Key
· EDU – Andrew McKnight
· ENG – Alan Druscitz
· HP – David Morris
· NSM – Robert Hyatt
· NURS – Susan Appel
· SBS – Kent Kerley
The Senate approved the nominees listed and Chair Hickson will submit the nominations to President Garrison.
a. School of Medicine – Decanal/Senior Vice President Search Committee update: 5 candidates will be presenting to the University community during June 15 through June 30; candidate information is available at http://www.uab.edu/uabsom/announcements
b. Annual Report for CSW distributed to Senators June 2, 2010; will be posted on the web page for the Commission on the Status of Women
c. UAB Faculty Forum – October 1, 2010; Heritage Hall; 3-5 pm
d. President Garrison’s State of the University Address – October 21,2010; 3 pm at HUC Auditorium
e. Next FPPC Meeting – Administration Building Penthouse CR1 – July 16, 2010
f. Next Executive Committee Meeting – June 23, 2010
g. Next Executive Committee Meeting with President and Provost – June 29, 2010
h. Next Senate Meeting – Administration Building Penthouse CR1 – July 13, 2010
UAB Faculty Senate – http://www.uab.edu/fsenate/home.html
Secretary Pat Greenup submits this summary of the minutes for distribution via eReporter with a more complete record to appear on the Senate page after approval of expanded minutes at the July Senate meeting. The minutes of the Senate and the Faculty Policies and Procedures Committee are posted on the Senate web page.