Faculty Policies & Procedures Minutes

July 15, 2005

Penthouse CR1

 

Members Present: Dr. Theodore Benditt, Dr. Kathleen Berecek, Dr. Madelyn Coar, Dr. Dorothy Gauthier, Dr. Pat Greenup (Chair), Dr. Jeanne Hutchison, Dr. Mark Lockhart, Dr. Philip Musa, Dr. Neiva Eduardo, Mr. Timothy Pennycuff, Dr. Rose Scripa, Dr. Om Srivastava

 

Alternates Present: Dr. John Ehiri (Waterbor), Mr. Fred Olive (Walden)

 

Members Absent With Notice: Dr. Eli Capilouto, Mr. Edward Kennedy, Dr. Janice Patterson, Dr. Uday Vaidya, Ms. Carolyn Walden, Dr. John Waterbor

 

Agenda:

 

Call to Order: Chair Greenup called the meeting to order at 7:35 a.m.

 

Approval of June 17, 2005 Minutes: The June 17, 2005 FPPC minutes were approved as distributed with minor editorial changes.

 

Chair Report: Chair Greenup requested committee members to review the roster and submit corrections to the Senate office. Committee members should identify an alternate to attend the FPPC meetings in their absence and submit this information to Stephanie Belcher.

 

Chair Greenup reported that an email message from Provost Capilouto has indicated that Section 2, Appendices A, B and C have been approved by the Chancellor’s Office with a few minor changes. It is not known if these items require Board of Trustees approval. The implementation process is yet to be determined.

 

Chair Greenup indicated that the other sections of the handbook that had been reviewed by the FPPC during 2003-2004 will be typed and submitted to the Senate. Chair Greenup will finalize the document before it is moved to the Senate.

 

The current Faculty Handbook and Policies is available at:

http://main.uab.edu/show.asp?durki=29493

 

Dr. Scripa reminded the committee members that the 2000 paper version of the handbook is no longer the official version. Faculty and academic administrators must use the online version of the handbook for all personnel related issues.

 

Based on the October 23, 2003 recommendation [Report of the committee on Handbook Issues and Archival Process) to the Provost (from FPPC to Senate in September 2003), there will not be mass production of paper copies of the faculty handbook in the future. The online version is the current administratively approved handbook.

 

Items for Discussion:

 

1.      Operating Rules – Chair Greenup indicated to increase lines of communication the following guidelines are in place. The Chair of the FPPC serves as an Ex-Officio member to the Senate.  Chair of the Senate Faculty Affairs Committee (FAC) serves as an Ex-Officio member to the FPPC.  The Past Senate Chair serves for a 1 year term on the FPPC.

The following topics were discussed related to review and proposed amendments to the Operating Rules of the FPPC:

 

a.       Method of selecting an alternate for each FPPC member. Two ideas for consideration:

1.      Should the 2nd person listed on the election ballot be identified as the alternate in an academic unit?

2.      Should the FPPC Representative select a person that they feel would attend the FPPC meetings in their place?

 

                               Note: General consensus was that no changes are needed at this time;

                               however, a final decision will be made at the next meeting.

 

                              ACTION ITEM: Alternate selection or election process will be

                             discussed at the August meeting of the FPPC.

 

b.      Concerning notice to members for excessive meeting absences and attendance records for FPPC members it was determined that the current process is working and no changes in the Operating Rules are needed at this time.

 

To inform faculty that the FPPC meetings do occur and the topics addressed, Dr. Coar suggested that a notice be placed in the UAB Reporter indicating when the FPPC met and a link to the minutes on the Senate web page.

 

ACTION ITEM: The FPPC Chair and Office Associate will need to implement this process of announcements (meetings held and link to Senate posting of FPPC minutes) in the timeline of submitting materials to the Reporter.

 

c.       Officer(s) of FPPC

 

       Chair Greenup suggested that a co-chair, chair-elect or vice-chair and

        a secretary of the committee be added to the FPPC committee’s

        Operating Rules. The role of the secretary would be to review the

        draft of the minutes and prepare the version to be sent to members

        and work with the Office Associate and Chair of FPPC to maintain

        the official records and correspondence of the FPPC to the Senate or

        other entities.

         These additions would support members learning more about the

        operations of the committee and hopefully encourage members to be

        nominees for the position of  Chair.

        Consensus was that the title or position of Vice-Chair would be more

        Appropriate considering the terms of office for each FPPC

        representative.

        This would not be a limiting factor to the requirement of a Chair not

        serving more that two consecutive terms.

        This would create a support process for the committee so that in the

        absence of the Chair the committee would be able to move forward

        and to perform committee functions in a more a timely manner.

     

       ACTION ITEM: A draft of the Operating Rules with recommended

       changes for inclusion of Vice-chair and secretary will be prepared by

       Chair Greenup and be discussed at the August 19, 2005 meeting.

 

 

d.       Mr. Pennycuff suggested that the voting for the Chair of the FPPC be moved from the June meeting to another month to give the new incoming FPPC members a chance to meet the committee members who might be nominees for the Chair position and the election process at the June meeting. The June meeting is the first meeting of the year for new members and they are not familiar with the nominees but are expected to vote in the election process.

 

This topic included discussion about the “best” time for the elections of the Senate and FPPC to consider if elections in the fall would be more appropriate. This approach would require the Senate election process to occur in the spring or summer and the new term would start in August. Senate Past-Chair Ted Benditt indicated that the Senate had in past years attempted to address the concerns for 9 month faculty and other issues related to the cycle of elections.

Chair Greenup indicated that any changes to the election process would require a bylaws amendment and may require a change in the Senate Constitution.

 

There is no optimum time for the Senate election process to address the concern about nominees and the election process of Chair of the FPPC. A suggestion was that each nominee for the Chair of the FPPC prepares a short bio that could be distributed electronically to members prior to the June FPPC meeting. This would assist newly elected members of the FPPC to become aware of the qualifications and willingness to serve by each of the nominees.

 

ACTION ITEM: The Operating Rules in Section B. Chair – Election and Duties item # 3 will need to be modified. This section describes the responsibilities of the Nominating Committee. This committee should solicit the bio and willingness to serve as Chair of FPPC information and forward to Senate office. This information would be distributed electronically prior to the June FPPC meeting.

 

2.      Faculty Handbook - Chair Greenup indicated that when updates are done    electronically to the UAB Handbook you can refer to page 3 http://www.uab.edu/main.uab.edu/show.asp?durki=29493 for a

listing of changes and updates  . The date of the latest revision is posted on the front page of the Faculty Handbook web page.

      Chair Greenup suggested that Department Chairs of each school be contacted

      and informed that paper copies of the handbook are obsolete. It was

      suggested that a notice be posted in the UAB Reporter and a memo sent to the

      deans informing them of the change.

 

       This action should be linked with the implementation process for the revised

       Section 2.0 and Appendices A, B and C.

 

       ACTION ITEM: Chair Greenup will interact with Dr. Scripa to identify the

       best approach to informing academic administrators and faculty of the current

       process for the handbook and the implementation of the revised Section 2.0.

 

3.      Distant Learning Copyright Rules – A memo from Mr. John Lyons concerning Distant Learning Copyright Rules was distributed electronically. An official copy of the memo is attached to these FPPC minutes.

 

       Dr. Scripa suggested that the FPPC consult with Mr. Ed Kennedy to get a  

      clearer understanding of the Distant Learning Rules.  Dr. Greenup asked that

      any questions/comments concerning this rule be sent to her at

      greenup@uab.edu and she will consult with Mr. Kennedy.

 

Topics identified:

·        What is the difference between rules and a policy?

·        What are the implications of the distance learning copyright rules?

·        Is there a need for a related policy and is this being worked on by the Office of Legal Counsel?

·        Who owns distance learning materials based on the UAB rules?

·        What are the legal and contractual issues related to the rules?

 

                  ACTION ITEM: Chair Greenup will contact Ed Kennedy to determine the

                  status of the rules and on-going activities to review/revise copyright policies

                  at UAB.

 

4.      Student Ownership – Chair Greenup asked the committee members to send any concerns/comments about student produced course/program related products developed by students. This includes research data and other related materials. What belongs to the student and what belongs to the faculty member/PI and/or UAB?

 

ACTION ITEM:  Chair Greenup will communicate with Ed Kennedy to request information about student ownership. This topic will be on the agenda for the August FPPC meeting.

 

New Business

 

  1. Dr. Scripa indicated that she will be the P.I. for the NSF Award entitled UAB Advance Office for the Advancement of Women in Science and Engineering.
  2. Members are requested to review the materials at the Advance Website

http://www.uab.edu/advance

to become familiar with the program.

      c.   FPPC members are requested to review the link

      the “Family Friendly Policies”    

      http://www.uab.edu/advance/acrobat/UABFFleavepolicies.pdf

      and submit any suggestions to Dr. Scripa at rscripa@uab.edu

 

            Members were requested to consider current policy related to full time tenured

            faculty who must shift to a part-time status due to illness or family illness and

            consider if the current policy should be revised.

 

            ACTION ITEM: All FPPC members are requested to review the information at

            the indicated links and these topics will be placed on the agenda for the August

            FPPC meeting.

 

Announcements

 

      The next meeting of the FPPC is August 19, 2005.

 

 

Action Items Summary

 

1. ACTION ITEM: [OPERATING RULES] Alternate selection or election process will be discussed at the August meeting of the FPPC

 

2. ACTION ITEM: [COMMUNICATIONS WITH FACULTY] Chair and Office Associate will need to implement this process of announcements (meetings held and link to Senate posting of FPPC minutes) in the timeline of submitting materials to the Reporter.

 

3. ACTION ITEM: [OPERATING RULES] A draft of the Operating Rules with recommended changes for inclusion of Vice-chair and secretary will be prepared by Chair Greenup and be discussed at the August 19, 2005 meeting.

 

4. ACTION ITEM: [OPERATING RULES] The Operating Rules in Section B. Chair – Election and Duties item # 3 will need to be modified. This section describes the responsibilities of the Nominating Committee. This committee should solicit the bio and willingness to serve as Chair of FPPC information and forward to Senate office. This information would be distributed electronically prior to the June FPPC meeting.

 

5. ACTION ITEM: [HANDBOOK] Chair Greenup will interact with Dr. Scripa to identify the best approach to informing academic administrators and faculty of the current process for the handbook and the implementation of the revised Section 2.0.

  

6. ACTION ITEM: [DISTANCE LEARNING COPYRIGHT RULES] Chair Greenup will contact Ed Kennedy to determine the status of the rules and on-going activities to review/revise copyright policies at UAB.

 

7. ACTION ITEM:  [STUDENT OWNERSHIP] Chair Greenup will communicate with Ed Kennedy to request information about student ownership. This topic will be on the agenda for the August FPPC meeting.

 

8. ACTION ITEM: [FAMILY FRIENDLY POLICIES] All FPPC members are requested to review the information at the indicated links[in minutes] and these topics will be placed on the agenda for the August FPPC meeting.

 

9. ACTION ITEM: FPPC –SENATE REQUEST FOR INFORMATION FROM PROVOST – STATUS OF SECTION 2.0 AND APPENDIX A, B, C

 

10. ACTION ITEM: FPPC Chair to complete preparation of remaining sections of the proposed changes to the Faculty Handbook to move document to Senate.

 

Adjournment

 

      The meeting adjourned at 9:25 a.m.