Faculty Policies & Procedures – FPPC Meeting

Date: November 18, 2005

Location: Penthouse CR1

Time: 7:30 – 9:30 a.m.

 

 

Attendance:

 

Members Present: Dr. Pat Greenup (Chair), Dr. Theodore Benditt, Dr. Kathleen Berecek, Dr. Joan Grant, Dr. Jeanne Hutchison, Dr. Mark Lockhart, Dr. Eduardo Neiva, Mr. Timothy Pennycuff,  Ms. Carolyn Walden, Dr. Uday Vaidya, Dr. John Waterbor, Dr. Eli Capilouto

 

Alternates Present: None attending; Ms Jerry Smith attended for Dr. Scripa.

 

Members Absent With Notice: Dr. Madelyn Coar, Dr. Janice Patterson; Dr. Philip Musa; Dr. Rose Scripa; Dr. Om Srivastava

 

Ex-Officio Member Absent With Notice: Mr. Edward Kennedy

 

Members Absent Without Notice: Dr. Carolyn Conley

 

 

Agenda Items:

 

A. Call to Order:  Chair Pat Greenup called the meeting to order at 7:45 a.m.

 

B. Adoption of October 14, 2005 FPPC Minutes:

 

The minutes were approved as distributed with one editorial change to be made for correction of name of Dr. Glenna Brown.

 

 

C. Chair Report:

 

  1. Chair Pat Greenup reported that Mr. John Daniel had reported that he was finalizing a report to be present to Provost Eli Capilouto by December 1, 2005 concerning the FPPC questions related to copyright and the distance learning rules. Provost Capilouto indicated that when he receives the report he will meet with Chair of the Faculty Peter Anderson and Mr. Daniel to review the document and determine the next steps.

 

 

 

 

  1. Chair Greenup reported that Section 2.0, Appendix A, B and C and Section 7.5.1 were now posted on the handbook website. This information was distributed to Deans and Library Directors on November 17, 2005. Provost Capilouto reported that further discussion with the deans will occur at the December 7, 2005 APC meeting to address the implementation of these sections of the handbook. Dr. Scripa did prepare a summary of these documents and this summary was also distributed to deans and directors. Additional information will be available at a future FPPC meeting.

 

 

D. Senate Report (Past-Chair of Senate)

 

Past-chair of the Senate Ted Benditt reported that the FPPC request was forwarded to the Governance & Operations Committee for consideration and recommendations. There has been no follow up action at this time.

 

ACTION ITEM: Chair Greenup will communicate with Chair of Governance & Operations committee.

 

 

E. Old Business

 

  1. Subcommittee – Family Friendly Policies – Joan Grant reporting for Chair Madelyn Coar

 

Dr. Grant reported that the group has been discussing topics related to FMLA, sick leave, current practices in academic units related to documentation of faculty days of vacation, leave, sick time and the availability of such records for faculty, and other topics.

The group presented the following for consideration by the FPPC:

 

             Recommendation to FPPC from Subcommittee on UAB Family Friendly Policies

 

 

             Rationale/Goal: To facilitate collaboration in a leading educational and research

             institution and an internationally respected magnet healthcare facility,

 

             Recommendation:

 

             There will be faculty representation on University-wide committees and ad hoc

              human resource management committees that evaluate and develop University

              policies and procedures for administrative, professional and support personnel.

 

             Questions raised by FPPC members: Does this recommendation apply only to

              family friendly policies?

              Which university wide committees should be included?

 

               ACTION ITEM:  Chair Greenup will communicate with Ms. Cheryl Locke to

               obtain information for addressing the concerns identified by the subcommittee.

               This will include request for information about the process for faculty

               participation or representation with the revision process for human resource

               policies (You & UAB and policies included in the Faculty Handbook)

               impacting faculty. This discussion is to also address the process of feedback to

               FPPC and Senate when concerns are forwarded to the UAB Benefits Committee

               and the HR department.

 

   2.  Handbook Review Cycle – Chair Ted Benditt

 

Chair Benditt presented the following written report at the October 14, 2005 FPPC meeting. The Subcommittee made recommendations to the FPPC as outlined:

 

 

The subcommittee (Jeanne Hutchison, Mark Lockhart, Tim Pennycuff, Carolyn Walden, and Ted Benditt) met on Wednesday, October 5, 2005, and offers the following proposal for review of the UAB Faculty Handbook:

 

Written Report:

The INTRODUCTION to the Faculty Handbook, as approved by FPPC but not yet forwarded to the Faculty Senate, says:

 

The currently approved online UAB Faculty Handbook shall be updated as required . . . .  [Note: In accordance with a document approved by the President in 2003, this should say, to be more accurate, The electronic version of the UAB Faculty Handbook and Policies, which represents the current administratively approved version of the handbook, shall be updated as required . . . .]

 

and

 

This handbook will be revised from time to time . . . .

 

In the context of this language the subcommittee recommends as follows:

 

(1)   The Handbook should be continuously reviewed

(2)   The process of continuous review should involve a review of several portions of the Handbook each year

(3)   The review of each portion should be carried out by a group of two members of the FPPC, one from each side of campus, who will report to the FPPC whether anything they have reviewed requires further consideration by FPPC

(4)   The portion that each group reviews should be a relatively short section of the Handbook, such as section 4 or section 6; or a subpart or subparts of longer sections, such as section 2.3 or section 2.6, or sections 3.1 through 3.6; or one of the appendices

(5)   The review process should be divided so that the entire Handbook will be reviewed over a 5 year period (for example, it might be divided into 15 parts, with 3 reviewed each year)

 

Quite apart from the regular cycle of reviews described above, the FPPC should review any matter in the Faculty Handbook that any member of the faculty who is covered by the Handbook, or any authorized member of the administration, asks the FPPC to review.

 

 

The discussion on November 18, 2005 included the following:

 

–        That handbook revisions will be ongoing with an electronic format

–        The 5 year cycle should accomplish the regular review with a goal of a section per year completed by a subcommittee of 2 FPPC members and report to the full FPPC for any recommendations

–        The process should be established with a timeline for the review so that the cycle of review is completed and review process not be left to the annual membership of the FPPC

–        The FPPC should consider academic unit issues when faculty members within a unit identify questions or concerns for a section of the UAB Faculty Handbook and then the FPPC review the concerns

–        That academic units identify some approach to differentiation of policies and procedures that are specific to unit and are more restrictive than the UAB Faculty Handbook. Provost Capilouto indicated that some units use “italics” in their handbook to identify the sections that are more specific than the UAB level handbook.

 

   ACTION: Jeanne Hutchison presented a motion that the FPPC accept the report from 

   the subcommittee and that the FPPC implement the recommended process. Mark

   Lockhart seconded the motion. This motion was approved.

 

   ACTION ITEM: Chair Greenup will forward a request to the subcommittee to prepare

   an outline for the review cycle to be utilized by the FPPC and to identify the timeline to

   be implemented.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  3.  Student Seminars – Intellectual Property – Chair Kathleen Berecek

 

Chair Kathleen Berecek reported that the Subcommittee had met and reviewed the materials in the charge letter to the group.

 

–        A review of the undergraduate and graduate handbooks indicated that these books did not address the topics of data handling by mentors and students and did not address teaching materials to assist students and mentors concerning research data

–        A review of the current ethics course for research students did not address distinct policies

–        It is not known if academic units have specific policies related to intellectual property and student and faculty awareness of protections needed

–        Ownership of data does not appear to be addressed in current materials

–        Training process and documentation is not identified so that all students and faculty are aware of requirements and compliance with documentation

 

            Discussion by the group identified the many variables that must be considered

            when addressing ownership and the rules must be considered in the context of the

            specifics of a situation.

            Mr. Ed Kennedy indicated that the new copyright policy being prepared for

            Provost Capilouto by Mr. John Daniel might address some of

            the concerns identified by the subcommittee.

 

            It was suggested that the FPPC might want to consider the presentation of a

            recommendation to the Senate concerning specific types of training related to

            research programs that would help students and mentors.

 

            ACTION ITEM: This topic of student ownership and intellectual property

            discussion will be continued at the next FPPC meeting.

 

 

4. Operating Rules – Proposed Revisions

 

      The proposed revisions were discussed with not action taken on the proposals.

 

     ACTION ITEM: Chair Greenup indicated that the Operating Rules revisions will be

     addressed at the next FPPC meeting.

 

 

F. New Business       

 

No new business items were introduced.

 

G. Presentation of Informational Items:

 

        This summary report was not available to the FPPC for this meeting.

 

H. Review of Action Items for November 18, 2005 FPPC Meeting

 

ACTION ITEM: Chair Greenup will communicate with Chair of Governance & Operations committee concerning the election process by the Senate.

 

ACTION: Jeanne Hutchison presented a motion that the FPPC accept the report from 

the subcommittee and that the FPPC implement the recommended process. Mark

Lockhart seconded the motion. This motion was approved.

 

ACTION ITEM: Chair Greenup will forward a request to the subcommittee to prepare

an outline for the review cycle to be utilized by the FPPC and to identify the timeline to

be implemented.

 

ACTION ITEM: This topic of student ownership and intellectual property

discussion will be continued at the next FPPC meeting.

 

ACTION ITEM: Chair Greenup indicated that the Operating Rules revisions will be

addressed at the next FPPC meeting.

 

 

I. Review of Action Items for October 14, 2005 FPPC Meeting:

 

  1. ACTION ITEM: Chair Greenup will contact John Daniel prior to November

      FPPC meeting for an update. Done – John reported that a report is being    

      finalized  for the Provost.

 

  1. ACTION ITEM: Chair Greenup will communicate with Chair of Governance &

      Operations Committee to determine status of review of election cycle. Pending.

 

      3.   ACTION ITEM: Chair Coar will contact Kris Findlay and Anita Clemon and

            request their participation with the Subcommittee at the October 21, 2005

            meeting. At the suggestion of Provost Capilouto Chair Coar will send in advance

            a listing of questions for which the group is seeking clarification about HR

            policies. Completed

 

      4.  ACTION ITEM: Chair Greenup requested that all FPPC members consider the   

           recommendations from the Subcommittee on Handbook Review Cycle and the

           suggestions listed in these minutes Section E. 2. This topic will be placed on the

           agenda for the November 18, 2005 FPPC meeting.   Completed

 

 

 

  1. ACTION ITEM: Chair Greenup will prepare a revised version of the Operating

      Rules to delete reference to the representative from ISS. Completed and

      presented at the November 18, 2005 meeting.

 

  1. ACTION ITEM: The recommended change to Senate Bylaws Section II.2.b to

      indicate that the Provost shall have 1 or 2 representatives will be discussed at the

      November meeting.   Pending decision by FPPC.

 

  1. ACTION ITEM: This recommendation to request the Senate to add this phrase

      to the Senate Bylaws “the current Chair of the FAC of the Senate will serve as an

      ex officio member of the FPPC during their term as Chair of the FAC will be

      discussed at the November meeting. Pending decision by FPPC.

 

8.   ACTION ITEM: This recommendation to request the Senate to amend Section

      2.10.2 of the faculty handbook to include “the current chair of the FAC of the

      Senate shall serve as an ex officio member of the FPPC will be discussed at the

      November meeting. Pending decision by FPPC.

 

9.   ACTION ITEM: The changes recommended related to election of chair, vice

      chair and secretary will be made to the draft of the Operating Rules for discussion

      at the November meeting. Pending

 

10.     ACTION ITEM: Chair Greenup will work with Stephanie Belcher to review the

        FPPC attendance records. Completed

 

11.    ACTION ITEM: Chair Greenup will communicate with the Chair of the

        Governance & Operations Committee and the Chair of the Elections Committee

        of the Senate. This will include review of the number of senators and FPPC

        members who are 9 month appointees and a review of the attendance at Senate

        and FPPC meetings during June – August.  Pending

 

12.    ACTION ITEM: The Operating Rules will be placed on the November agenda

           for discussion of the remaining sections. Completed with decisions pending at a

           future FPPC meeting.

 

 

J. Materials Distributed to FPPC Members Electronically Prior to Meeting

 

  1. Agenda for November 18, 2005 meeting
  2. Operating Rules – revision date: 11-10-05
  3. DRAFT October 14 for 10-14-05 FPPC meeting

 

 

 

 

 

K. Materials Distributed at the Meeting

 

   1. Handbook subcommittee report

   2. Family Friendly Subcommittee recommendation

 

L. Announcements:

 

–        The next FPPC meeting is December 16, 2005 in the Penthouse CR1

 

M. Adjourned

 

            Meeting adjourned at 9:30 a.m.

 

These minutes were prepared by Chair Greenup on December 10, 2005.