MARCH 9, 2004 EXPANDED MINUTES
The Faculty Senate Meeting
Minutes of Faculty Senate Meeting
Location: HUC Meeting Rooms A & B
Officers Present: Dr.
Alternate Senators: Dr. Zoe Dwyer, Dr
E. Jay Harris, Dr. Vicki Johnson, Dr. Debra Laken, Dr.
Dr. Louis Dale, Dr. Jenny Gauld, Ms. Vicki Johnson, Mr. James Lowery,
Dr. John Lyons, Mr. Dan Osborn, Dr.
1. Call to Order
Chair-elect Ted Benditt called the meeting to order at . A quorum was present.
2. Recognition of Guests
The guests listed above are all members of the UAB community.
3. Adoption of Minutes of February 10, 2004 Meeting
minutes of the
4. Chair-Elect Report – Chair-elect Ted Benditt updated the Senators
concerning the following topics: (1) to date 26 senators have registered to
participate in the evaluation process for diversity workshops on March 17
and 19; (2) Dr. Madelyn Coar has been appointed as the Faculty Senate
representative to the UAB Diversity Council; (3) the Faculty Senate
submitted recommended priority ranking of QEP topics (increasing Honors
experience was the top priority submitted) in response to a request from the
Provost; (4) plans for implementing the Faculty Development Program are
on schedule and the call for proposals to Faculty in the participating schools
will be distributed by the end of March; (5) Senators are encouraged to
submit suggestions for ways to recognize Faculty contributions to UAB,
research, teaching and service activities to Chair Smith; (6) University-wide
committee reports are being received in the Senate office and posted on the
Senate web page and Faculty are encouraged to review these reports; (7)
Phase I – Faculty Issues identified by academic units are being addressed by
the standing committees of the Senate and recommendations will be
presented to the Senate; (8) the Phase II reports on post-tenure review
activities in the academic units have been summarized and will be reviewed
by the Executive Committee with recommendations to the Senate; (9) the
newly implemented electronic elections process for the Senate elections has
been implemented and the first cycle will be completed on
5. President Garrison – Update – President Garrison presented an update on the following activities: (1) ongoing new student recruitment activities; (2) kudos to faculty, staff and students with examples of recent recognitions; (3) the search committee for the Dean of the School of Medicine will soon begin interviewing candidates; (4) the search for the Director of the Research Foundation is ongoing; (5) the SACS review is progressing on schedule and all audit groups have been encouraged to identify deficiencies and to move forward to act to address such deficiencies so as to achieve total compliance prior to the time of the external review process; (6) President Garrison is working with Birmingham City leaders to enhance integration of UAB and community planning activities; (7) the UAB Benefits Committee will begin meetings soon to review the current health benefits plans and Faculty input will be requested as part of the review process to determine the plans to be available this fall. President Garrison responded to questions from Senators related to the status of the state budget and impact on higher education, salary equity planning for UAB Faculty, and ACHE related legislation. President Garrison requested input from the Faculty for suggestions of how to enhance recognition of Faculty for their various contributions to UAB.
6. Provost Capilouto – Expressed thanks to the Faculty for contributions to the University prior to presenting an update on the Major Divisions and Budget Transparency for the Provost office line item in the 2004 UAB Budget. Provost Capilouto presented Office of the Provost Responsibilities and Budgets addressing an overview of the purpose, activities and budgets for each of the major divisions: (1) Equity and Diversity, (2) Facilities and Programming, (3) Planning and Information Management, (4) Research, (5) Student Affairs, Undergraduate Programs, Policies & Procedures, Faculty Affairs and Administrative Support.
Provost Capilouto reported that all of the proposed QEP topics will be advanced and that other topics are being considered by the APC. Some combination of the proposed topics will be identified as the QEP related to the SACS process.
This Powerpoint presentation is posted under the presentations drop down at the
Senate web site. http://www.uab.edu/fsenate/home.html
7. Faculty Senate Standing Committee Reports
& Research Committee – Chair and Senator
Pam Murray – reviewed a written report from the committee. This report outlines
recommendations concerning the UAB Strategic Plan in four areas: (1)
Undergraduate Education, (2) Graduate and Professional Education, (3) Research
& Scholarship, and (4) Work Environment. Senator Murray reported that the
guidelines for the Faculty Development Grants Program will be similar to those
used by the previous program and that guidelines for proposal
requests are to be forwarded to the Deans and Department Chairs. The Curriculum
& Research Committee will serve as the review panel for the grant proposals
and such recommendations will be submitted to the Dean of the
Senators for all academic units were requested to compile responses to ten
questions about current Faculty governance practices in their academic units.
These academic units presented reports: Joint Health Sciences, Arts & Humanities,
Business, Dentistry, Education, Engineering, Health Related Professions, Lister
Hill Library, Medicine, and Mervyn Sterne Library. The remaining academic units
will present Phase III reports at the April Faculty Senate meeting. All Phase III
reports will be reviewed, summarized and presented to the Executive Committee
for discussion and disposition recommendations to the Senate and to the Provost
and the President.
9. Open Forum
There was no time for open forum discussions.
The next Faculty Senate meeting is
Scheduled speakers are Mr. David Fine and Dean Will Deal.
b. These academic units will present Phase III Faculty Governance reports: Nursing, Optometry, Public Health, Social & Behavioral Sciences, and Natural Sciences & Mathematics.
Senators should encourage all Faculty members to
vote in the Senate elections before
11. Review of Action Items from March 9, 2004 Meeting
a. The Curriculum & Research Committee will continue with the preparations to implement the Faculty Development Grants.
b. Senators are encouraged to attend one of the Diversity Training sessions on March 17 or 19.
Senators are encouraged to talk with colleagues to
participate in the electronic voting for Senate elections process by
d. Senators are to submit suggestions for faculty recognition to Chair Smith or directly to President Garrison.
e. The Executive Committee is to review the written report submitted by the Curriculum & Research Committee to determine the next needed action.
f. The academic units presenting Phase III reports that have not submitted written reports need to submit such to the Senate office.
12. Review of Action Items from February 10, 2004 Meeting
All items (a-m) were either completed or are in progress by the appropriate
13. Written Materials Distributed to Senators at Meeting
a. Agenda – March 9, 2004 meeting
b. Minutes – February 10, 2004 meeting
c. Curriculum & Research Committee report
d. Finance Committee report
e. Article from The Chronicle of Higher Education – Post Tenure Review
The meeting adjourned at .
Minutes prepared by Pat Greenup, Secretary of the Faculty