I. Attending: Chair Ted Benditt; Past-Chair John Smith; Secretary Pat Greenup; Warren Martin; Gary Sapp; Jeff Engler; Tim Kraft; Bill Ogard and Stephanie Belcher.
II. Minutes of the FSEC 10-27-04 meeting were approved as reviewed by Chair and Chair-elect and as distributed to the FSEC.
· I.D.E.A. Update
· Update on Search Committees
· Effort Reporting
UAB Faculty Senate Meeting
December 14, 2004 7:30 - 9:30 A. M.
· FSEC Review of Section 2.0 and Appendix A, B and C.
Chair Benditt reported that he had reviewed the concern items presented by Acting Provost Capilouto at the November 9, 2004 Senate meeting.
· Section 2.4.5 and 2.4.9 were changes introduced by the Provost and not in the Senate version. Therefore this requires no change on the part of the Senate at this time.
· Section 2.6.2 - the FSEC discussed options for revisions to this section based on the Provosts comments. The FSEC decision was to not make any changes in the document as presented to the Senate on November 9, 2004.
· Section 126.96.36.199 the FSEC discussed options for revisions to this section based on the Provosts comments. The FSEC decision was to not make any changes in the document as presented to the Senate on November 9, 2004.
· Section 188.8.131.52 and Section 184.108.40.206 the FSEC discussion lead to the decision to delete the NOTE in box in Section 220.127.116.11. This is based on the comments by the Provost that he is committed to getting schools to develop policies. The discussion included statements that James Lowery would create a template of the policy and process to be developed by all academic units.
· Appendix A the FSEC discussed options for revisions to this procedure and the decision was to not make any changes in the document as presented to the Senate on November 9, 2004.
· FSEC Review of a Faculty Members Questions Related to the Currently-Administratively Approved Appendix A Grievance Procedure. The discussion led to a consensus that Chair Benditt would prepare a letter describing the FSEC position based on the confidential materials reviewed.
· Chair Benditt encouraged FSEC members to attend the Faculty Workload session with the vendor of the new student system (SCT) scheduled for December 2, 2004. Other sessions are scheduled for November 30-December 2 and December 7-9, 2004. FSEC members are encouraged to attend relevant sessions of the twelve sessions offered.
· Senate Ex Officio member to UAB Commission on Status of Women
Names of possible persons to serve as a representative from the Senate were discussed. Chair Benditt will contact possible Senators who might be appropriate to serve on the Commission. The Senate member name must be submitted by December 3, 2004.
· Tenure Clock Stoppage DRAFT Policy Chair Benditt will check with Provost Capilouto to determine the current version and the status of the Senate and FPPC review of this policy. Provost Capilouto indicated on November 9, 2004 that he wants these related revisions to be included in the Section 2.0 of the Faculty Handbook that is forwarded to the Board of Trustees.
· Course Grade Distribution Policy DRAFT distributed by Provost Capilouto. This policy was discussed at the October FPPC meeting. However, this policy had not officially been forwarded to the Senate for FPPC review. Chair Benditt will check with Provost Capilouto to determine the status of Senate review of this draft policy.
· Chair Benditt is completing the process for disconnection of the Senate Listserve. Chair Benditt will notify Stephanie Belcher and she will proceed to complete the disconnection process.
· Status of Effort Reporting Education Program Chair-elect Pete Anderson will be asked to update the FSEC members on this topic. The topic is also on the agenda for the FSEC meeting with President Garrison and Provost Capilouto on December 7, 2004.
· Chair Benditt indicated that when the Senate completes the ongoing activities related to Section 2.0 and Appendix A, B and C and the IDEA administrator evaluations then he may ask the FSEC to revisit the topic of the academic term. There are concerns about the length and scheduling issues in comparison with other system institutions.
· UAB Organizational Chart Secretary Greenup referred to the two versions of the chart:
This was a follow up to the discussion at the November 2, 2004 FSEC
meeting with President Garrison and Provost Capilouto. There are slight
differences in the two charts and the date is not on the SACS chart.
Secretary Greenup recommended that it would be helpful if the date
were included on the SACS chart since this is the operational chart
rather than the chart on page 13 of 90 pages in the Facts & Figures
· Administrator job descriptions deans and chairs
· Department chair survey/evaluations current practices
· SACS process for administrator evaluations and link with Senate activities
· Review of evaluations for academic administrators in Provost office
· Senate budget for administrator evaluations
· Senate liaison process implementation
· Chair Benditt will follow up on these topics Senate Ex Officio member to UAB Commission on Status of Women; Grievance Issue-review of faculty materials; tenure clock stoppage policy; course grade distribution policy; Senate Listserve status; status of Effort Reporting Education Materials;
· Secretary Greenup will prepare the agenda for the December 14, 2004 Senate meeting to be forwarded to the UAB Reporter.
· Secretary Greenup will follow up with IDEA/Amy Gross to determine the final date for faculty to complete the surveys (extension to November 23, 2004) and the date for the results to be received by the Senate (tentatively set for November 30, 2004 overnight shipment.)
· Secretary Greenup will request that Stephanie Belcher change the draft status of the approved FSEC minutes for the 10-27-04 meeting. These minutes are to be filed and posted on the senate web page.
· Secretary Greenup will make the recommended revisions to Section 2.0 [delete the Note box in Section 18.104.22.168; add the word regular to line 2 of the first paragraph in Section 22.214.171.124 and delete full-time; and Appendix B line 41 change 14 to 30. Changes in Section 2.4.9 will be made to return the correct wording as was presented in the Senate version and changed by the Provost.
· FSEC members who can attend will participate in the new student system planning sessions as schedules permit.
VIII. Action Items from the October 27, 2004 FSEC Meeting
All action items have been acted on and completed.
a. Agenda for FSEC meeting.
b. DRAFT Summary Minutes [Expanded Minutes not available due to the FSEC meeting in the third week of the month rather than the fourth week]
c. DRAFT FSEC Minutes for 10-27-04 meeting.
d. UAB Organizational Charts
e. Governance & Operations report Senate Liaison Implementation Proposal
f. Extension of Tenure Clock policy proposal Provost Draft document
g. Phase II Academic Unit Reports to Faculty Senate
Dr. Elliot Leifkowitz has been appointed as alternate Senator for the Joint Health Sciences academic unit. He will serve on the Governance and Operations committee replacing Dr. Pam Bournelis who resigned from the Senate.
The FSEC meeting was adjourned at 1:45 pm.