MINUTES for February 23, 2005 FSEC Meeting
DRAFT UAB Faculty Senate Meeting Agenda
March 8, 2005 7:30 - 9:30 A. M.
UAB FACULTY SENATE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
Tuesday March 1, 2005
FSEC MEETING WITH PRESIDENT GARRISON
1. Topics discussed by Chair Benditt:
· Submitted the February BOT reports to Senate office.
Described the Higher Education – March 3, 2005
materials and plans for the trip to
· Request from UAB SGA – support for extending hours at Sterne Library – Senate will not take any action of this request. The studies done by the Provost do not support extending the open hours of Sterne.
· Woolfolk Award – Senate is encouraged to submit nominations due on March 7, 2005.
· Provost request to Senate to consider encouraging faculty to add information to syllabi concerning “academic misconduct.” This item will be addressed by the Curriculum & Research Committee. Recommended statement “consult Directions Student Handbook for information relative to academic and non-academic misconduct for UAB students.”
· VP Richard Margison has requested that the Senate submit names of persons to serve on the Fringe Benefits committee. There will be two faculty positions staring this year. Chair Benditt will contact Linda Reed, Steve Mennemeyer and Warren Martin to determine willingness to serve.
2. Senate Liaison process implementation – Recommendations from Governance & Operations Committee - Communication of Information to Faculty
Chair Benditt reviewed the following proposal (a revision to the current Appendix C to the Senate Constitution and Bylaws) from the Governance & Operations Committee
Senate Liaison for Academic Unit
Each academic unit will identify a Senate Liaison (a Senator or Alternate Senator who has experience with the Senate) to serve his/her unit and the Senate in
the following ways:
A. Serve as point of contact for the Faculty Senate Executive Committee (FSEC) in communications with representatives from each academic unit.
B. Serve as point of contact with the Faculty of the academic unit to support collaboration, shared governance and any activities of the Senate that require input from the Faculty. This activity is intended to assure the Senators meet periodically (e.g. regularly scheduled faculty or major school committee meetings) with their Faculty to discuss issues relevant to the Faculty in the specific unit and especially any issues or topics that may be relevant to Faculty in any academic units as represented by the Faculty Senate.
C. Serve as the point of contact for the Senate Elections Process and the Faculty Policies and Procedures Committee (FPPC) representative for soliciting nominations for Senators for the unit, FPPC representatives, and Chair-elect and Secretary positions.
D. Serve as the point of contact for communications with the Faculty in his/her academic unit to solicit information requested by the Senate and/or to distribute Senate information to the Faculty in the academic unit.
Action: Chair Benditt will communicate with Chair Beverly Mulvihill and
request the preparation of this revised material to be presented to the Senate on
March 8, 2005.
2. Academic Calendar – after discussion the decision was made to
not pursue further discussion of this topic at this time. It was
determined that an opportunity for revision is not likely or
feasible at this time.
G. Topics on the
Agenda – Not Discussed – Next FSEC Meeting Agenda
1. FAC Report -Current status of department chairs evaluation
processes in academic units; Senate next cycle of Administrator
Evaluations; plans for Deans of NSM and Dentistry, process for
2. Number of adjunct faculty and number of non-tenure earning
track in comparison with tenure-earning and tenured faculty
positions – addressing questions of metrics compliance and
faculty workloads; effort reporting issues
3. FAC Report - Periodic career review process – need details of
Provost proposal related to Faculty Development, Evaluation,
and Post-Tenure Review activities; follow up for Phase II
Reports to Senate by Academic Units
4. Status and update report from Senate Standing Committees for
work completed and tasks to be completed by May 31, 2005.
5. Future discussion of topic to have Senate Annual Report of the “access to and availability of UAB administrators” by the faculty.
1. Agenda – 2-23-05 meeting
2. DRAFT Expanded Minutes of February Senate meeting
3. Senate Liaison proposed revision
I. Action Items from February 23, 2005 FSEC meeting.
Refer to the minutes above.
J. Adjournment – the meeting closed at 1:30 p.m.