RECORD OF EVENTS
JULY 20-22, 2005
The July 20, 2005 FSEC meeting was cancelled due to lack of quorum for FSEC.
The July 21, 2005 FSEC meeting was cancelled due to lack of quorum for FSEC.
NOTE: The FSEC was moved from the regular schedule of July 27, 2005 to prepare for the July 22, 2005 meeting of the FSEC with President Garrison and Provost Capilouto. This meeting was scheduled due to conflicts for the August 2, 2005 FSEC meeting with President and Provost.
The agenda for the July 22, 2005 meeting was prepared by Chair Anderson and Secretary Greenup. Agenda items submitted to President Garrison on July 21, 2005:
(1) IDEA proposal for department chairs in fall term; (2) Status of Section 2.0
DRAFT – DRAFT – DRAFT
Agenda for July 21, 2005 FSEC Meeting
Senate Meeting Agenda
August 9, 2005 7:30 - 9:30 A. M.
· Debra Laken – Athletic Advisory Committee/Academic Standards Subcommittee
· Madelyn Coar – Diversity Advisory Council
· Warren Martin/Linda Reed – Fringe Benefits Committee
· Other Senate Representatives to Univ-wide committees
· Committee on Academic Advising (CAA)
1. Status of Section 2 Handbook revisions
2. IDEA – Proposal for Department Chair Evaluations/Timeline
3. Comprehensive Plan for UAB Community Development Efforts
4. Other items are to be identified
1. Senate representative to Committee on Academic Advising
2. Administrator evaluation proposal – Mark Lockhart
3. Faculty development – need to continue discussion initiated on June 22.
4. University-wide committee reports– Senate action – process definition – Chair Anderson and Secretary Greenup
5. Topics for future Senate meeting presentations - ALL
6. FAC Report - Periodic career review process – next steps in process based on Provost proposal related to Faculty Development, Evaluation, and Post-Tenure Review activities; follow up for Phase II Reports to Senate by Academic Units
7. Faculty Handbook – Report from FPPC related to this question - will there be paper copies in the future versus only the online version; which version of handbook and policies apply to faculty (current versus when hired)
8. Senate Annual Report of the “access to and availability of UAB administrators” by the faculty. – this topic was identified in FSEC meeting several months past –WHAT ACTION IS NEEDED ON THIS TOPIC BY FSEC/SENATE?
9. Promotion and Tenure criteria – what is process for faculty who are not teaching and what is process for faculty who are not doing research – what are criteria at academic unit levels? ASSIGNED TO FAC.
10. Number of adjunct faculty and number of non-tenure earning track in comparison with tenure-earning and tenured faculty positions – addressing questions of metrics compliance and faculty workloads; effort reporting issues-SHOULD THIS BE ASSIGNED TO STANDING COMMITTEE?
11. Numerical ratings for faculty evaluation process in academic units – faculty review practices - what are current practices
12. Ideas and actions to improve faculty participation with Senate and FPPC
13. Senate budget
1. Next FSEC meeting – August 31, 2005 – noon – 1:30 pm
2. FSEC meeting with President and Provost – September 6 at 9-10:30 am