FSEC Noon MEETING AUGUST 31, 2005

MINUTES

 

  1. ATTENDING: Chair Peter Anderson, Past-Chair Ted Benditt, Chair-elect Joe March, Secretary Pat Greenup, Jeff Engler, Warren Martin, Mark Lockhart, Jennifer Long, Stephanie Belcher.
  2. FSEC Minutes of July 21, 2005 Meeting – This meeting was cancelled due to scheduling problems for attendees. The officers prepared the agenda for the July 22, 2005 meeting of the FSEC with President Garrison and Provost Capilouto.
  3. DRAFT Expanded Minutes of August Senate Meeting: No additions or corrections were presented; the document is ready for distribution to the Senators.
  4. DRAFT AGENDA for September 6, 2005 meeting with President Garrison and Provost Capilouto

 

FSEC Meeting With President Garrison and Provost Capilouto

September 6, 2005

AB1070

9 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.

AGENDA

1.        Search Processes Update

a.      Graduate School Dean

b.      Chair of Medicine

c.       Chair of Neurobiology

d.      Associate Provost Undergraduate Programs

2.        Student Evaluation of Teaching Process (information item)

3.        I.D.E.A. – Chair Evaluation Process Update

4.        Security Issues on Campus – Advisory Committee

5.        Academic Calendar Follow Up

6.        Weather – UAB Policy For Canceling Class/Closure Decisions

7.        Gay / Straight Student Alliance at UAB Senate Seeking Advice.

  1. DRAFT AGENDA – SEPTEMBER 13, 2005 SENATE MEETING

Senate Meeting Agenda

September 13, 2005   7:30 - 9:30 A. M.

Penthouse CR1

  1. Call to Order
  2. Recognition of Visitors – Non-Members of the Senate -Please Sign Attendance Roster
  3. Approval of Minutes – August 9, 2005 Faculty Senate Meeting
  4. Chair Report – Chair Pete Anderson
  5. President’s Report – President Carol Garrison
  6. Presentation: Cheryl Locke – UAB Chief Human Resources Officer
  7. Senate Standing Committees
    1. Curriculum & Research – Senator Jeff Engler
    2. Faculty Affairs – Senator Mark Lockhart
    3. Governance & Operations - Senator Jennifer Long
    4. Finance – Senator Warren Martin
    5. Faculty Policies and Procedures – Past-Chair Ted Benditt
  8. New Business
    1. Faculty Senate Representatives to University-wide Committees

·        Debra Laken – Athletic Advisory Committee/Academic Standards Subcommittee

·        Madelyn Coar – Diversity Advisory Council

·        Warren Martin/Linda Reed – Fringe Benefits Committee

·        Seine Chiang - UAB Commission on Status of Women

·        Other Senate Representatives to Univ-wide committees

·        Committee on Academic Advising (CAA)

    1. Academic Calendar 2006-2007 Options
  1. Open Forum
  2. Announcements
    1. Next FPPC Meeting – September 16, 2005 – Penthouse CR1
    2. Next Senate Meeting – October  11, 2005 – Penthouse CR1

 

  1. ITEMS DISCUSSED BY FSEC

 

1.      Security issues on campus.

ACTION ITEM: This topic was added to the agenda for the September 6, 2005 meeting with President and Provost.

2.      IDEA – Department Chair Evaluations – Chair Lockhart reported that the process is moving along with some changes in datelines (see below); the tally of evaluations is as follows:

·        56 chairs will be evaluated

·        1113 faculty will have the opportunity to evaluate their chair

·        Chairs not being evaluated – in position less than 2 years = 20

·        Chairs with < 5 faculty members = 4 (dentistry) with one of these in the position < 2years

·        Faculty in departments not meeting criteria of 2 years time and 5 or more faculty = 551

·        Full time faculty who do not report to a department chair = 75

    

                    Revised Timeline: I.D.E.A. Timeline-For Chair Evaluations-August 31, 2005

 

  1. July 22nd request updated HR e-mail listing
    1. Identify by department/unit/school
    2. Determine departments to exclude

 

  1. September 6th  I.D.E.A. will send out Information Request Form
    1. Send letter of explanation to chairs not being evaluated

 

  1. September 23rd Cut off date for Chairs to submit Information Form to I.D.E.A.

 

  1. September 13-16 Alert memo sent to faculty – describes ( I.D.E.A. evaluation process/turnoff spam filter/when to expect form from I.D.E.A.)

 

  1. September 20th Evaluations sent to faculty of I.D.E.A.

 

  1. October 4th Deadline for faculty to respond to I.D.E.A. survey

 

  1. October 28th Paper report sent from I.D.E.A. to Stephanie

 

    1. Officers will review the reports – deadline for review November 4th

 

  1. November 8th send chairs a copy of report (table and comments) for review

 

9.   November 29th Table reports will be sent to faculty for review

 

 

An article for the Reporter has been prepared and an article for the Synopsis has been prepared. These files are being submitted for publication dates that fit the timeline.

 

Letters have been sent to Chairs who will be evaluated and a different letter has been sent to Chairs who will not be evaluated this fall (due to not meeting one or both of the criteria of at least 2 years in the position and with 5 or more faculty in the department.)

 

To date Chair Lockhart has not received any comments or suggested changes for the proposal that will be voted on at the September 13, 2005 Senate meeting.

 

ACTION ITEM: Chair Lockhart will present an informational status report to the President and Provost on September 6, 2005.

 

3.      Curriculum & Research Committee – Chair Jeff Engler reported on the 8-26-05 meeting (Notes)

UAB Faculty Senate

Curriculum and Research Committee

Meeting August 26, 2005; Great Hall, Hill University Center

 

Present:  J. Engler (Chair), L. Mitchell, T. Loder, C. Coffey, R. Gilchrist, J. Harwell, K. Martin, R. Fullard, S. Bailey, S. Chiang

 

Guests:  Provost E. Capilouto, Associate Provost R. Scripa, Assistant VP G. Brown, P. Anderson, P. Greenup

 

The meeting was called to order at 12 noon.  The members of the committee and guests introduced themselves.

 

The main agenda item for the meeting was to begin discussions about the process of student evaluations of faculty teaching.

 

Provost Capilouto made some introductory remarks about the importance of a comprehensive and consistent process for evaluating the quality of teaching.

UAB has a commitment to improving what we do:

Evaluations should advance accountability and be fair and equitable – find value in teaching

            The question is how to measure satisfaction and teaching outcomes – to improve teaching

            The Alabama Commission on Government Accountability is surveying recent college grads across Alabama for their level of satisfaction with their college experience.

            Evaluations are not a punitive process – not destructive or embarrassing; not looking for the “bad apple”, but to recognize teaching excellence and innovation.

            Should take the long-term view of faculty teaching accomplishments

 

In the preliminary SACS report: it was suggested that it would be beneficial to have a more standardized mechanism for the evaluation of teaching.

 

The evaluation process should tie teaching accomplishments and improvements to faculty development.

 

Student evaluations are only one component of a more comprehensive process for faculty promotion

            Long term goal: to broaden the evaluation of teaching: include other information, such as portfolios, peer evaluations

            Train department chairs to improve their leadership and skills in developing teaching excellence – American Council on Education workshops

 

Course goals may affect what is measured by the evaluations.

 

Action item:  At our next meeting, we will try to arrange a presentation by the IDEA group, to understand how their evaluation process works for student evaluation of faculty teaching.  IDEA will provide a free trial evaluation of up to 25 classes and using this free offer may help us decide how effective a process the IDEA survey might be to accomplish our long-term goals.

 

Chair Engler reported that a meeting is being planned for September 15 or 16 to review IDEA materials prior to the September 21, 2005 meeting with an IDEA representative to discuss the IDEA student evaluation process and the plans for a pilot study at the end of fall term.

 

ACTION ITEM:  Chair Engler will present an information status report to the President and Provost on September 6, 2005.

 

 

 

 

4.      Academic Calendar – Discussion of the 2006-2007 academic calendar options distributed electronically from Glenna Brown.

 

The issues that have been addressed by the Senate in previous meetings are still a concern.

 

ACTION ITEM: This topic will be addressed by Past-Chair Ted Benditt as an agenda item for the September 6, 2005 meeting with President and Provost.

 

5.      Weather – Process for Decision-making -Cancelling of Classes and/or Closure of UAB. Based on the events of August 29 and 30 and the email message distributed by President Garrison the FSEC has identified questions and concerns.

 

ACTION ITEM: This topic has been placed on the agenda for the September 6, 2005 meeting with the President and Provost.

 

6.      Status of Search Committee activities [Dean of Graduate School, Dean of Nursing, Chair for Neurobiology, Chair for Medicine, Associate Provost for Undergraduate Programs]

 

ACTION ITEM:  This topic was placed on the agenda for the September 6, 2005 meeting with President and Provost.

 

7.      Senate Representative to the Committee on Academic Advising

 

To date no Senators have volunteered to serve in this position.

 

ACTION ITEM:  Chair Anderson will follow up on this with Senators’ names suggested as possible representatives.

 

8.      Senate Budget

 

The July 2005 report was distributed to the FSEC members and the general categories and status of the budget were reviewed.

 

A proposal for purchase of a new printer for the Senate office was presented for discussion. This proposal was approved and Office Associate Stephanie Belcher will process this purchase through Dr. Scripa’s office {this office oversees the budget of the Senate.}

 

It is the responsibility of the officers and the FSEC to oversee the budget and to monitor expenses. This will be done in the future by a monthly review at the FSEC meetings. The payment of membership dues and other expenses of the Senate will be monitored to assure that there are adequate funds to conduct the administrator evaluations and to identify when the Senate must request additional funding from the Provost to conduct such evaluations.

                       

                       ACTION ITEM: The officers are responsible for assuring the financial

                       solvency of the Senate. Office Associate Stephanie Belcher will prepare

                       the appropriate reports for the monthly FSEC meetings.

 

9.      Senate Needs from Human Resources Management

 

Chair Anderson met with Cheryl Locke and Kris Findlay during early August to discuss the needs of the Senate related to conducting the administrator evaluations.

Chair Anderson invited Cheryl Locke to speak to the Senate at the September meeting.

A meeting was held on August 22, 2005 with Chair Anderson, Kris Findlay, Rose Scripa, Pat Greenup, Jim Welch and Stephanie Belcher. This meeting was to identify the types of information needed by the Senate for the completion of the administrator evaluations and the elections processes.  This discussion lead to identification of timelines and needs as well as the appropriate contact persons to obtain the types of information that is needed for the Senate tasks requiring access to full-time regular faculty member listings and current BlazerID information.

 

ACTION ITEM: Office Associate Stephanie Belcher will communicate with Jim Welch when the Senate needs information from Human Resources. The FSEC needs to monitor this working relationship and assure that the Senate has access to the needed information in a timely manner.

 

10.  UAB Media Relations – Attendance at Senate Meetings

 

Secretary Greenup reminded the FSEC members that Gary Manz, the Director of Public Relations does attend the Senate meetings. This discussion also served as a reminder for the identification of visitors at the beginning of each Senate meeting.

 

ACTION ITEM:  Chair Anderson will request all non-Senate members to identify themselves at the beginning of Senate meetings.

Secretary Greenup will modify the agenda item to have the Chair request that all non-Senate members identify themselves and sign the Visitor Roster for each Senate meeting.

 

 

 

11.  Topics and Possible Speakers for Future Senate Meetings

 

a.       October Senate meeting – Dr. Gauld and/or DeeDee Bruns to report on the fall registration status. This discussion identified concerns related to the UAB scorecard on undergraduate registration cap and the concerns for identification of resources and needs related classroom space, class size for many of the lower level courses in the core curriculum. These questions will be discussed in future FSEC meetings.

b.      November Senate meeting – Gordon Stone who is affiliated with the Higher Education Partnership will do a presentation for the Senate at the November 8, 2005 meeting.

 

                         ACTION ITEM:  FSEC members should submit suggestions to Chair

                        Anderson for future Senate meeting presentations.

 

12.  Faculty Handbook – Printed Copies Status

 

Several Senators have asked about the availability of printed copies of the handbook now that the document is posted electronically. There will not be printed copies distributed in the future. Each faculty member can print a paper version from the electronic file; however, faculty need to realize that revisions to the electronic file are ongoing and they must consult the electronic file for the “current administratively approved handbook.”

 

This topic was addressed by a recommendation from the FPPC to the Senate and forwarded to the Provost on October 2003.

On November 14, 2003 President Garrison approved the following Report of the Committee on Handbook Issues and Archival Process as had been approved by the Senate.

 

Report of the Committee on Handbook Issues and Archival Process

 

I. Electronic Version of the Faculty Handbook

 

The Office of the Provost shall maintain the electronic version of the UAB Faculty Handbook and Policies, which represents the current administratively approved version of the handbook.

 

The Office of the Provost shall develop a title page with effective date and include this with the current administratively approved version of the Faculty Handbook.

 

The Office of the Provost should maintain an introductory section prior to the title page of the current administratively approved version of the Faculty Handbook. This section, which may include copies of the President’s welcome, the UAB vision and mission statements, and other such introductory documents as deemed appropriate, is introductory to and not part of the actual handbook.

 

The Office of the Provost shall also maintain updates electronically to show changes to the current version.  The current version shall include a preliminary table with revision dates to document all changes occurring during the calendar year.

 

The Office of the Provost will notify all deans, library directors, and department chairs of the location of the current administratively approved version of the Faculty Handbook.  The deans, directors, and departmental chairs will refer present and potential faculty to the current handbook.

 

 

II. Printed Version of the Handbook

 

The Office of the Provost shall at the end of each calendar year print complete copies of the current administratively approved version of the Faculty Handbook and route to the directors of the Mervyn H. Sterne and Lister Hill libraries.  The Office of the Provost will include with the annual printing an update table listing all revisions made to sections of the Faculty Handbook during that calendar year.  The libraries will bind these copies and make them available for use.

 

Superceded issues of the Faculty Handbook shall be sent to the UAB Archives for permanent retention and use.

 

Printed copies of the Faculty Handbook for personal use may be downloaded from the faculty handbook website. 

 

In order to protect changes made in an electronic environment, the Office of the Provost will maintain an updated hard copy of the entire Faculty Handbook whenever a revision occurs during the calendar year and within three days of each revision shall send hard copies of the changes to the libraries.

 

III. Effective Date Statements

 

The title page of the current administratively approved version of the Faculty Handbook shall include the date for the calendar year (ex. January-December 2003).  Revisions made during the year to the sections of the current administratively version of the Faculty Handbook will be dated and tracked with an update table.

 

IV. Recommendations

 

To be consistent with other universities, including those in Alabama, the Committee on Handbook Issues and Archival Process makes the following recommendation.  The current administratively approved version of the Faculty Handbook should be maintained electronically by the Office of the Provost in both a standard, non-proprietary format (i.e. HTML) and as a PDF file.  The Committee also recommends that the electronic files be updated at the same time, but that the HTML file takes precedence over the PDF file.

 

To provide easier access to the Faculty Handbook for the University community and for prospective faculty, the Committee on Handbook Issues and Archival Process also recommends that the main UAB homepage have a link directly into a faculty resource and information site.  This site will be maintained by the Office of the Provost and may offer links to the numerous other University sites containing information relevant to the faculty.

Report submitted to the FPPC, September 19, 2003

Rose Scripa, Carolyn Walden, Nancy Clemmons,

B.J. Stephens, Philip Musa, and Tim Pennycuff

 

 

 

13.  Copyright Issues at UAB

 

This discussion identified several pending issues and raised many questions as to the current activities that are occurring to address faculty concerns related to fair use and copyright.

 

Chair Anderson reported that an ad hoc group from the Academic Programs Council being chaired by John Daniel in the Office of Counsel had not met recently and the status of the group was unknown.

 

When the Senate supported the Distance Learning Copyright Rules required by the SACS review process in January 2005, the topic and the rules review was assigned to the Curriculum & Research Committee. This topic has not yet been addressed by the C&R due to other more pressing topics.

 

This topic was also addressed by the FPPC during the fast tack ad hoc approval process for the rules as requested by the Provost. At the time it was determined that the FPPC would revisit this topic. The FPPC is currently reviewing this topic and Ed Kennedy from the Office of Counsel is scheduled to update the FPPC at the September 16 meeting.

 

ACTION ITEM: Chair Anderson will contact John Daniel to determine the status of this ongoing review of copyright related concerns on campus.

                        Chair of the FPPC, Pat Greenup is communicating with Ed Kennedy to

                        determine the status of questions for clarification submitted from the

                        FPPC.

 

14.  Senate Liaison Implementation Process

 

Jennifer Long, Chairman of the Governance & Operations Committee reported that most of the Liaison had been identified and this will be completed by September 2, 2005.

 

ACTION ITEM: Chair Long will submit the completed listing of Senate Liaisons to the Secretary and Office Associate. The next step for the implementation process will then be identified. Communication with the identified liaisons [job description and roles and responsibilities] will need to be forwarded to Liaisons. Communications with academic administrators will need to occur to notify that the Liaisons are now appointed and to identify methods of communications appropriate in each of the academic units.

 

Information Item – Job Description in the Senate C&B Appendices

 

Senate Liaisons for Academic Units

 

At the March 2005 meeting of the Faculty Senate, the Senate approved the following guidelines for the implementation of the Senate Liaison activities.  The implementation process will be defined and the 2005-2006 term Senators will be asked to work with the Faculty Senate Executive Committee and the administrators in their respective academic units to include this process in the goal to improve communications for faculty members.

 

Each academic unit will identify a Senate Liaison to serve his or her unit and the Senate in the following ways:

 

·        Serve as point of contact for the Faculty Senate Executive Committee (FSEC) in communications with representatives from each academic unit.

 

·        Serve as point of contact with the faculty of the academic unit to support collaboration, shared governance, and any activities of the Senate that require input from the faculty.  This activity is intended to assure the Senators meet periodically (e.g. regularly scheduled faculty or major school committee meetings) with their faculty to discuss issues relevant to the faculty in the specific unit and especially any issues or topics that may be relevant to faculty in any academic units as represented by the Faculty Senate.

 

·        Serve as the point of contact for the Senate elections process and the Faculty Policies and Procedures Committee (FPPC) representative for soliciting nominations for Senators for the unit, FPPC representatives, and Chair-Elect and Secretary positions.

 

·        Serve as the point of contact for communications with the faculty in his or her academic unit to solicit information requested by the Senate and/or to distribute Senate information to the faculty in the academic unit.

 

Senate Liaisons for Academic Units 2005-2006   ---- September 2, 2005 Report

 

Academic Unit

Senate Liaison

Email Address

Academic Health Center Joint Depts

Bob Kesterson

kesterso@uab.edu

Arts and Humanities

Sue Kim

suekim@uab.edu

Business

Warren Martin

wmartin@uab.edu

Dentistry

Sonya Mitchell

mit@uab.edu

Education

Karen Dahle

kbdahle@uab.edu

Engineering

Chih-Hsiung (Gary) Cheng

gcheng@uab.edu

Health Related Professions

Debra Laken

eddins@uab.edu

Lister Hill Library

Martha Verchot

mverchot@uab.edu

Medicine

Seine Chiang

schiang@uab.edu

Mervyn Sterne Library

Jonathan Harwell

jharwell@uab.edu

Natural Sciences and Mathematics

Roger Gilchrist

rlgilch@uab.edu

Nursing

Joe Burrage

burragej@uab.edu

Optometry

Timothy Kraft

twkraft@uab.edu

Public Health

Stephen Mennemeyer

smenneme@uab.edu

Social and Behavioral Sciences

Akhlaque Haque

ahaque@uab.edu

 

 

15.  Provost Office Reorganization

 

Provost Capilouto indicated [July 22, 2005 FSEC] meeting that there would be reorganization of his office and the roles and responsibilities of persons would be changing. These changes will affect Dr. Rose Scripa related to faculty affairs and development and the FPPC with the retirement of James Lowery.

 

The FSEC is concerned about the impact on the Senate and the FPPC and the working relationships with the Provost office to accomplish the Senate’s activities. These concerns identified the need for the Senate to consider which administrators should be evaluated by the Senate in future cycles of the Senate processes. When the Provost identifies the reorganization titles then the Senate will need to identify the academic administrators to be considered for evaluations by the Senate –IDEA process.

 

Chair of FPPC Greenup reported that the FPPC is additionally concerned about the representation of the President and Provost at the FPPC meetings as defined in the current UAB Faculty Handbook and Policies and the current Faculty Senate Constitution & Bylaws. Chair Greenup communicated with Provost Capilouto on August 20, 2005 seeking clarification about participation by the President and Provost offices on the FPPC. This request also addressed concerns about the current absence of an ex officio member of the FPPC from the ISS office on UAB policy development. This latter position is part of the Operating Rules of the FPPC. Provost Capilouto did respond that he would be talking with Dr. Scripa about these requests for clarification.

 

Informational Item – FPPC Chair communication with Provost Capilouto

Eli,

 

I am sending this message with a request for clarification of the participation at FPPC meetings by the Provost and the President’s office.

 

Attached you will find the sections from the UAB Faculty Handbook and Policies and the Faculty Senate Constitution & Bylaws describing the composition of the Faculty Policies and Procedures Committee. I high lighted in red the membership positions for which I am requesting clarification.

 

The FPPC has had the membership composition as described in the attached documents for a number of years. The original intent as has been described to me was that the joint participation of administration representatives and faculty elected from each of the academic units was an opportunity for collaborative discussions of topics/policies, etc before the documents/recommendations were forwarded to the Faculty Senate.

 

When I joined the FPPC in 2000, Dr. Joan Lorden (then Dr. Matalon) and Dr. Rose Scripa attended meetings as the two representatives from the Provost office and Provost Augsburger attended as the President’s representative. As persons in the Provost position and in the Graduate School Dean position have changed this type of participation has not been occurring at the FPPC meetings. This level of discussion was very helpful to address issues and differences of faculty and administration views on the “front end” before submitting recommendations through the Senate to the Provost where “back end” discussions and interactions are now occurring.

 

Now that James Lowery has retired and that Glenna Brown has indicated that she (and it appears based on the message below from Glenna Brown) that no one will attend from the Office of Institutional Studies and Services office) the members of the FPPC and myself as Chair are concerned about the participation of representatives from the President and Provost. The FPPC Operating Rules have (file attached) a provision for the participation for an ex officio member from the ISS – Policy Development office and this has been operational for a number of years.

 

Please understand the FPPC does not have any problem with Dr. Scripa’s participation with the committee; however, we are concerned that the FPPC will not be able to accomplish charged tasks as quickly and efficiently as in the past. The input from the administration, faculty and ISS representative has eliminated a lot of confusing perceptions and implications about current policies and procedures under discussion by members of the FPPC. The FPPC could forward documents with greater clarity to the Senate and the Senate then more quickly addressed recommendations to the President or designee.

 

While I personally believe that a representative from the ISS is a valuable asset to the functioning of the FPPC, I can understand that you have described “a reorganization process is ongoing in the Provost’s office” and that final decisions have not been made as to the persons completing the tasks formerly done by James Lowery.

 

However, at our August 19, 2005 meeting the FPPC membership expressed concerns and requested that I seek clarification on future participation by persons/positions described in the Faculty Handbook, Senate Bylaws and the Operating Rules of the FPPC.

 

Can you clarify for the FPPC the planned participation by the President and Provost’s office with the FPPC?

Your assistance for this request is most appreciated.

Pat Greenup

Chair of the FPPC

8-20-05

 

 

                         ACTION ITEM:

 

Chair Anderson will follow up with Provost Capilouto and this topic will be placed on the agenda for the October 4, 2005 FSEC meeting with President Garrison and Provost Capilouto.

The FPPC Chair will keep the FSEC informed of any Provost response.

 

 

 

16.  Campus Climate Survey at UAB – Request from Karen Placke – Advisor to the Gay/Straight Student Alliance at UAB

 

In communications with Chairs of the Senate John Smith and Pete Anderson, Ms. Placke has requested that the Senate consider supporting a campus climate survey related to gays, lesbians, bisexual and transgender members of the UAB community. A task force of faculty, staff and students is addressing “the ultimate goal being the establishment of a GLBT center on campus” to provide services for faculty, staff and students. These goals include:

·        A space of three or four rooms, including a reception area, an office for professional staff, and a multi-purpose library meeting room

·        A full-time Director of the center, someone who has a minimum of a master’s degree in a relevant field and a deep understanding of the needs of the GLBT community

·        Part-time assistance fro the Director and

·        Adequate funding to bring occasional speakers to campus

 

                        ACTION ITEM:  This topic was placed on the agenda for the September

                        6, 2005 FSEC meeting with President Garrison and Provost Capilouto.

 

 

17.  List of “Peer” Institutions to Consider for Senate Periodic Career Review Process

 

Secretary Greenup had requested that Dr. Glenna Brown (ISS) identify a list of academic institutions that the Senate should examine as possible resources of activities related to ongoing practices for periodic career review for tenured faculty. Dr. Brown shared the following information on August 25, 2005:

Pat, we have done some thinking about comparable institutions in relation to the review of post-tenure review processes.

 

Our guidelines in considering “peer” institutions consistently take these factors into account:

      Include both general education component and medical education

      Urban location

      Have a teaching hospital

 

Then there are the other kinds of factors we discussed in our earlier e-mails.  Given all those considerations, we’ve developed the attached list as a proposal.  It includes several that meet all the three factors mentioned above plus a few that have other characteristics that make them useful for comparison purposes.  Give me a call if you’d like to discuss.

glenna

Glenna Brown

Institutional Studies and Services

UAB

205-934-2090

UAB - Suggested Comparable Institutions

 

Georgia State University

Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis

Portland State University

University of Cincinnati

University of Houston

University of Illinois at Chicago

University of Minnesota-Twin Cities

University of Pittsburgh

University of South Florida

Virginia Commonwealth University

 

 

ACTION ITEM:  This information is for the FAC to consider as part of the ongoing review of proposals for periodic career review.

 

 

  1. Topics Not Addressed at this FSEC Meeting

 

1.      University wide committee reports – Secretary Greenup and Chair Anderson still need to follow up on the status of reports access by the Senate related to committees of interest to the Senate.

2.      Current evaluation practices for academic administrators within each academic unit.

3.      Current evaluation practices for faculty as part of the annual evaluation processes.

4.      Faculty participation with the Senate and the FPPC – to consider mechanisms to increase participation and to identify barriers to younger faculty participation and why tenured faculty choose not to participate

 

                ACTION ITEM: These items will be placed on the agenda for the October 28,

                2005 FSEC meeting.

 

 

  1. Action Items from the August 31,2005 FSEC Meeting

 

Refer to the action items identified in each of the sections described above in these minutes.

 

  1. Action Items from the June FSEC Meeting {July meeting was cancelled}

 

1.      Senate Representative to the CAA – appointment is pending

2.      Senate Liaison implementation – ongoing

3.      Survey of faculty access to academic administrators – this is pending and has not been addressed by the FSEC

4.      Faculty evaluation process and the audit process described by Provost Capilouto and chaired by Cheryl Locke is pending

5.      Periodic career review – review process ongoing by the FAC

6.      Items referred to the FAC at the June FSEC meeting – pending by the FAC; a message will be forwarded to Chair Lockhart.

 

  1. Handouts Distributed at the FSEC August 31, 2005 Meeting

 

1.      Agenda – August 31, 2005 FSEC meeting

2.      DRAFT Expanded Minutes – August 9, 2005 Senate Meeting

3.      Higher Education Partnership information

4.      Faculty Senate Budget – July report

5.      Senate Liaisons implementation status report

 

  1. Announcements

 

1.      Next Senate meeting – September 13, 2005 – Penthouse CR1 – 7:30 am.

2.      FSEC meeting with President and Provost – September 6, 2005 – 9 am AB 10th floor

3.      Elections for Nursing, Business, and NSB will be conducted the week of September 12, 2005.

4.      Next FPPC Meeting is September 15, 2005 – Penthouse CR1 – 7:30 am.

 

 

  1. Adjournment

 

The FSEC meeting adjourned at 1:45 p.m.

 

 

These minutes were prepared on September 2-3, 2005 by Secretary Greenup.