Summary of the January 9, 2007 Faculty Senate Meeting
Chair Joe March (email@example.com) announced on the following items:
1) Issues identified by senators at the December senate meeting included Oracle and administrative efficiency; faculty recruitment, retention, development, and diversity; student recruitment; funding; infrastructure; curriculum; and communication. Senators were encouraged to review the list of issues and to submit feedback and strategies for addressing to Chair Joe March at firstname.lastname@example.org.
for Chair-Elect (academic affairs units) and Secretary (all academic units) of
the Faculty Senate are due February 2, 2007 and nominations for Senators and
FPPC Representatives are due February 23, 2007.
Senators were encouraged to help identify potential candidates and to
submit nominations to Secretary Jennifer Long at
Service Award will be awarded again this year to recognize a current member
(not on the FSEC) or a past member of the Faculty Senate who has provided
exemplary service to the senate and UAB.
Senators were encouraged to submit nominations to Secretary Jennifer
4) Dr. Claire Peel, Interim Associate Provost for Faculty Development and Faculty Affairs, requested assistance from the senate related to the faculty development program and will meet with the FSEC on January 31, 2007.
6) Odyssey Consulting presented a summary of their assessment of the Provost Office to the Deans and will conduct a workshop on January 29, 2007 for the Provost Office, Deans, and Senate Chair to address specific goals related to communication, streamlining processes, service, budgeting and accountability, and planning.
7) Provost reported that there were no new activities for the Termination for Cause Review Panel and Grievance Hearing Committee during Fall 2006 and that the Grievance Panel appointed in June concluded its work in December.
8) Undergraduate Student Government Association (USGA) is sponsoring a forum on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 from 2:30 to 5:00 p.m. in the Hill University Center Alumni Auditorium.
President Carol Garrison announced the following items:
1) Efforts to educate community about the university and to gain support for state funding.
2) Efforts to recruit students by hosting receptions, promoting honors opportunities, and offering more financial assistance.
3) New visual arts center and parking deck in planning phase.
4) Neil Callaway has been named the new head football coach.
Mr. Anthony Purcell, UAB Police Chief, provided information on university committees, crime statistics, and crime prevention. He described several university committees that interact with the police department including the Police Advisory Council, Campus Watch, and University Safety. He reported that there was a 22% decrease in crime in 2006 compared to 2005. The types of crimes were larceny theft (85%), motor vehicle theft (8%), and unlawful entry into vehicles. He also reported that there was a 64% decrease in pedestrian accidents in 2006 (5 incidents) compared to 2005 (14 incidents). He presented tips for crime prevention including securing valuables, being aware of surroundings, reporting suspicious behavior to the police, getting a good description, utilizing the campus escort service, and participating in architectural and environmental design and security surveys.
Dr. Doug Rigney, Vice President for Student Affairs, provided an overview of the BlazerNET portal (gateway to the university intranet) which is scheduled to go live on January 22, 2007. He presented information on the history and development of the portal including the use of focus and core groups to determine the initial content and the pilot project conducted in Fall 2006. He explained some of the terminology and displayed the pages for libraries, research, courses and training, campus life, employee resources, student resources, faculty resources, and my stuff. Mr. Daniel Jones, Degree Audit Specialist from Academic Programs and Policy, demonstrated some of the functionality of the portal and listed the items for implementation in later phases of development. The Faculty Senate will have a channel in the BlazerNET portal.
Faculty Affairs Committee Report
Chair Mark Lockhart (email@example.com) reported that a process is in place for distributing the numeric summaries for the administrator surveys to faculty. More information is forthcoming.
Faculty Policies and Procedures Committee Report
Senate Chair-Elect Pat Greenup (firstname.lastname@example.org) reported on subcommittee work related to family friendly policies and annual evaluations. It is anticipated that the recommendations from the FPPC will be forwarded to the senate for review at the February meeting.
University-wide Committee Reports
Senate Representative to the UAB Campus Planning Committee Jonathan Harwell (email@example.com) reported that Sterne Library’s Educational Technology Services reopened last week and computers are currently being moved back into the building and that planning for a new visual arts center and parking deck is in process.
The next senate meeting is February 13, 2007 in the Penthouse CR1, the next FSEC meeting is January 31, 2007, the next FSEC meeting with the President and Provost is February 6, 2007, and the next FPPC meeting is January 26, 2007.
UAB Faculty Senate – http://www.uab.edu/fsenate/home.html
Secretary Jennifer Long submits this draft summary of the minutes and a more complete record will appear on the senate page after approval at the February senate meeting.