Summary of the April 8, 2008 Faculty Senate Meeting
Chair Pat Greenup announced the following items:
1) Application deadline for the Faculty Development Grant Program is April 21, 2008 (more info).
2) Undergraduate Scholarship Exposition is April 18, 2008 from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. in the Hill University Center Great Hall (more info).
forum for an open dialogue on race is April 18, 2008 at 6:30 p.m. in the
4) Faculty awards convocation is April 24, 2008 at 10:00 a.m. in the Alys Robinson Stephens Performing Arts Center.
5) Facilitators are needed for the freshman discussion book groups on August 18, 2008 (contact Juanita Sizemore at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 1, 2008).
Chair Pat Greenup announced the following items related to the senate:
1) Senate and FPPC reception hosted by President Garrison is April 17, 2008 from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. at the Woodward House (rsvp required).
2) Senate and FPPC election results are posted on the senate page (more info).
3) Presentations scheduled for the May senate meeting are Mr. Olen Pruitt and Mr. Brooks Baker on university greening activities and Dr. Alison Chapman on writing portal.
4) Provost and President approved the senate recommended revisions to section 188.8.131.52 on annual evaluations and section 3.8 on standards of behavior of the faculty handbook. The revised sections were distributed on April 3, 2008 by Dr. Pat Greenup to the senators and FPPC representatives and by Dr. Claire Peel to the deans and library directors.
Chair Pat Greenup reported on the following meetings:
1) Faculty Senate Executive Committee (FSEC) met on March 27, 2008 and topics discussed were agendas, annual reports, proposed amendments to senate constitution and bylaws, personal and social responsibility institutional inventory report, and selection of senate standing committee chairs, senators-at-large, and senate representatives to university-wide committees for 2008-2009 term.
2) Faculty Senate Executive Committee (FSEC) met with the President and Provost on April 1, 2008 and topics discussed were academic calendar, campus green, faculty development grant program, and budget.
3) Faculty Senate Past-Chairs Summit was held on March 12, 2008 and topics discussed were senate history, senate effectiveness traits, administrator evaluation process, proposed amendments to senate constitution and bylaws, shared governance documentation, and UAB values related to service and work environment.
4) Senate chair met with Dr. Claire Peel on March 13, 2008 and topics discussed were proposal guidelines and due date for reports for the faculty development grant program, status of senate recommendations forwarded to the Provost, academic unit faculty handbooks, suggestions for future chair training sessions, and faculty awareness of revisions to section 184.108.40.206 on annual evaluations and section 3.8 on standards of behavior of faculty handbook.
5) Other meetings attended as senate chair included Consulting Work Group on March 12, 2008 to discuss conversion to online process and forms, Faculty Policies and Procedures Committee (FPPC) on March 21, 2008, Strategic Enrollment Management (SEM) on April 1, 2008, Academic Programs Council (APC) on April 2, 2008 to discuss benevolent fund campaign, and FPPC subcommittee on April 4, 2008 to discuss documenting shared governance practices in university materials.
President Carol Garrison announced the following items:
1) UAB is working both internally and externally on the budget. Meetings are being held at the university level with the deans and vice presidents to discuss possible ways to refocus resources and at the system level to identify best practices and common solutions. Faculty are encouraged to share suggestions for reducing costs with their administrators.
2) NCAA recertification self-study report is available through BlazerNET. Faculty are encouraged to review the draft report and submit comments before the April 11, 2008 deadline. An open forum will be held on April 11, 2008 from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. in the Hill University Center Alumni Auditorium during which individuals may share any comments they wish to make about the draft report.
3) Benevolent fund campaign for 2008 is in progress (more info).
4) Three UAB students have been selected as Goldwater Scholars (more info).
CAPP Degree Planning Tool
Dr. Dan Osborn, Director of Academic Programs and Policy, described the CAPP degree planning tool. CAPP (Curriculum, Advising, and Program Planning) is a module within the BANNER student information system and replaces DARS (Degree Audit Reporting System). CAPP is an interactive, web-based academic advising program available to UAB advisors, faculty, and students designed to perform degree evaluations based on the undergraduate curriculum by comparing the courses taken by the student with the degree requirements in the student’s major.
First Year Experience Program
Ms. Stella Cocoris, Assistant Vice President for Enrollment Services and University Registrar, discussed the first year experience program which is a new strategic enrollment management initiative. Topics covered were growth of the first year experience program; first year experience (FYE) courses including freshman learning communities, university 101, and school-based FYE courses; common elements of FYE courses; and FYE coordinating committee.
Faculty Development and Affairs
Dr. Claire Peel, Interim Associate Provost for Faculty Development and Faculty Affairs, summarized faculty development activities during 2007-2008, faculty development activities planned for the future, and other activities coordinated by the Office for Faculty Development and Faculty Affairs.
NCAA Recertification Process
Dr. Harold Jones, Chair of the NCAA Recertification Steering Committee, discussed the NCAA athletics certification process. Topics covered were origin, purpose, steps in the certification process, certification categories, areas of self-study, format of self-study, measurable standards, and recertification process at UAB.
The presentation materials are available on the senate page under meeting presentations at http://www.uab.edu/fsenate/home.html.
Faculty Policies and Procedures Committee Report
Senate Chair Pat Greenup reported on items discussed at the FPPC meeting on March 21, 2008 including review of the AIDS and HIV infection policy, review of section 4 on insurance and retirement benefits of the faculty handbook, review of section 5 on compensation of the faculty handbook, recommendation for holidays and vacation, and recommendation for leave policies.
Senate Chair Pat Greenup reported on items discussed at the FPPC shared governance subcommittee meeting on April 4, 2008. The subcommittee needs assistance with obtaining access to current and approved faculty handbooks for each academic unit, suggestions for ways to best document current practices, suggestions for future awareness events for faculty, and recommendations to support culture of trust.
Senate Chair Pat Greenup reported that the senate received a
memorandum from the FPPC recommending that the university maintain the current
number of designated holidays, vacation, and personal holidays based on their
review of comparison data from other universities. President Garrison reported that the
Governance and Operations Committee Report
Senate Chair Pat Greenup reported that the proposed amendments to the senate constitution and bylaws and the preamble drafts will be voted on at the May senate meeting. Feedback about the proposed amendments and preamble drafts may be submitted to Chair Pat Greenup at email@example.com.
Senate Chair Pat Greenup distributed a survey on benefits associated with faculty participation with the administrator evaluations and a survey on traits of effective senates to gather input from the senators.
Senate Chair Pat Greenup asked the senators to submit one recommendation related to faculty that the senate should consider for submission to the President and Provost.
The next senate meeting is May 13, 2008 in the Administration Building Penthouse CR1, the next FSEC meeting is April 30, 2008, the next FSEC meeting with the President and Provost is May 6, 2008, and the next FPPC meeting is April 18, 2008.
UAB Faculty Senate – http://www.uab.edu/fsenate/home.html
Secretary Jennifer Long submits this draft summary of the minutes and a more complete record will appear on the senate page after approval at the May senate meeting.