Acceptance into the BSB theme requires a bachelor's degree including undergraduate coursework in calculus, general and organic chemistry, and at least one introductory course in zoology or biology by the time of entrance.
The general requirements for acceptance into the program are –
• Minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
• Combined verbal/quantitative score on the GRE of 1100, or 300 on new test scores.
• A strong background in biology, chemistry, and/or mathematics. Undergraduate level courses in cell biology, biochemistry, developmental biology, and genetics are strongly encouraged. Undergraduate mathematics through calculus and physics are also recommended.
International students must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) earned within the last two years. Applicants with scores of: 100 (iBt), 600 (paper-based) or 250 (computer-based) or higher will be considered.
Applications are reviewed beginning October 15th of each year with offers being made from November 1 until April 15th. Early applications are encouraged and an accelerated review and decision process is provided for early applicants. In some circumstances applications received after April 15th will still be reviewed and offers for admission made if space is available (please inquire).
The deadline for all foreign applicants is January 15.
Required Application Materials
Domestic students - (No application fee)
- Application and personal statement
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended (send to UAB Graduate School)
- Official GRE scores (Institutional code 1856)
- 3 letters of recommendation (must be submitted online)
International students - ($60 application fee)
- As above, plus official TOEFL scores