Acceptance into the BSB theme requires a bachelor's degree including undergraduate coursework in calculus, general and organic chemistry, and at least one introductory course in zoology or biology by the time of entrance.
The general requirements for acceptance into the program are –
• Minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
• Combined verbal/quantitative score on the GRE of 1100, or 300 on new test scores.
• A strong background in biology, chemistry, and/or mathematics. Undergraduate level courses in cell biology, biochemistry, developmental biology, and genetics are strongly encouraged. Undergraduate mathematics through calculus and physics are also recommended.
International students must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) earned within the last two years. Applicants with scores of: 600 (paper-based) or 80 (internet-based) or higher will be considered.
The GRE and TOEFL Institutional Code for UAB is 1856.
Snapshot of the Most Recent Entering Class (total, all GBS themes):
58 1st year students
- Average GPA, 3.6
- Average GRE (quantitative plus verbal) 1252
- 53% female/47% male
- 93% US citizens/7% international, from 23 states & 3 countries
- 13% US students from underrepresented groups
- 100% have previous research experience
The University of Alabama at Birmingham encourages applications from and gives full consideration to all candidates for admission and financial aid without respect to age, sex, sexual orientation, race, disability unrelated to program performance, color, religion or national origin.
Applications are reviewed beginning October 15th of each year with offers being made from November 1 until April 15th. Early applications are encouraged and an accelerated review and decision process is provided for early applicants. In some circumstances applications received after April 15th will still be reviewed and offers for admission made if space is available (please inquire).
The deadline for all foreign applicants is January 15.
Required Application Materials
Domestic students - (No application fee)
- Application and personal statement
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended (send to UAB Graduate School)
- Official GRE scores (Institutional code 1856)
- 3 letters of recommendation (must be submitted online)
International students - ($60 application fee)
- As above, plus official TOEFL scores
Transcripts should be sent to:
UAB Graduate School
1720 2nd Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35294-0013