Forming a Thesis Committee
Students are expected to form their thesis committee during their 2nd year, after entering the mentor's lab. Thesis committee is formed only after consultation with the mentor. This is NOT a decision the student makes alone.
- Committee must have a minimum of 5 members.
- Mentor is traditionally the chair of the committee, except during the thesis proposal and final defense. However, another member can be chair. That decision is the student and mentor's.
- 1 member of the thesis committee (Graduate School prefers 2 members) must be outside the student's research area of expertise.
- If a student has a committee member who is either not UAB faculty (at another university) or who does not have UAB Graduate Faculty status (check here), student must:
1- request a CV (via email) from the proposed committee member
2- complete the Recommendation for Appointment to Graduate Faculty
3- contact the Theme office to get a letter of recommendation from the Theme Director
- Committee form must be filled out, printed out, and taken to the Theme office for signature and submission to the Graduate School.