International Application deadline - January 15
This deadline is strictly enforced.
APPLICATIONS ARE ONLY ACCEPTED ONLINE THROUGH ApplyYourself.
- Online application
- Official transcripts for all universities/colleges attended:
1 copy to the UAB Graduate School
- Official GRE scores sent to UAB Graduate School
- Official TOEFL scores sent to UAB Graduate School
- 3 letters of recommendation (online submission preferred)
- Financial Affidavit of Support
UAB Graduate School
HUC 511 / 1400 University Blvd
Birmingham, AL 35294
- Undergraduate Education
A baccalaureate degree in the natural or physical sciences is required. Undergraduate level courses in organic and analytical chemistry, cell biology, biochemistry and genetics are strongly encouraged. Undergraduate mathematics through calculus and physics are also recommended. See individual Program Admissions information for program-specific required or recommended courses.
- Grades & Scores
The Graduate School recommends that entering students have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale and a minimum combined verbal/quantitative score on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) of 1100. GRE scores cannot be more than 5 years old.
International students must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) earned within the last 2 years. Applicants with scores of 600 (paper-based) or 250 (computer-based) or higher will be considered.
GRE and TOEFL Institutional code for UAB: 1856
Undergraduate or postgraduate bench/lab research experience is required. 6 months minimum.
Applications are reviewed by GBS Admissions Committee, representing all GBS thematic programs. Acceptance will be based on a combination of factors including:
- Undergraduate performance (both the curriculum and grade point average)
- Letters of recommendation
- GRE and TOEFL scores
- A personal statement of research and career interests
- Previous research experience
- Personal interview (not guaranteed for every applicant), at program expense (international applicants may be interviewed by phone or video conference)
- Admission to our Programs is very competitive and the number of positions is limited; thus not every qualified applicant can be offered a position.
Interviews are required before an offer of admission can be made. Programs may arrange for Skype or phone interview for highly competitive international applicants.
International Scholar and Student Services