We welcome applications from those committed to obtaining a graduate education in biomedical sciences in the area of cell, molecular, and developmental biology. Applications are reviewed by the UAB Graduate Biomedical Sciences (GBS) Admissions Committee, representing all GBS thematic programs. Acceptance is based on a combination of facotrs including:
- Undergraduate performance (both curriculum and grade point average)
- Letters of recommendation
- GRE scores
- A personal statement of research and career interests
- Previous research experience
- Personal interview, at program expense (international applicants may be interviewed by Skype)
Admission to the CMDB program is very competitive and the number of positions is limited; thus not every qualified applicant can be offered a position. Early application submission is strongly suggested.
Snapshot of the Most Recent Entering Class (All GBS Programs)
60 1st year students
- Average GPA: 3.6
- Average GRE (quantitative plus verbal): 1233
- Average GRE (quantitative plus verbal) for international students in this year's CMDB entering class: 1275
- Average TOEFL (internet-based) for international students in this year's CMDB entering class: 108
- 50% female/50% male
- 82% U.S. citizens/18% international, from 22 states and 6 countries
- 18% U.S. students from underrepresented groups
- 100% have previous research experience
About Our Interviews
We will have an interview event in January and one in February for selected for applicant interviews. Our interviews occur Thursday through Saturday.
A typical interview event schedule:
- Thursday: afternoon arrival, dinner with current students
- Friday: faculty interviews, lunch with current students, evening social event
- Saturday: interactive tour of Birmingham with current students and exit meeting with program director(s), depart Birmingham
Dress: Business or business/casual. Dress slacks, shirt/sweater (tie and jacket for those who prefer a formal look) for men; business skirt or pants, blouse/sweater for women (suit/jacket for those who prefer a formal look) for women. Comfortable shoes are suggested; the UAB campus is an urban setting and interviewing applicants will walk to various meetings/events. Casual dress is appropriate for some events.
Logistics: We will make airline and hotel reservations for all interviewing students and will pay for these expenses up front. We will also provide meals.
Contact: Applicants are invited to interview will be in contact with CMDB program manager, Nan Travis, for all arrangements.