The Microbiology Graduate Theme invites applications from individuals committed to an intensive course of study and research training leading to the Ph.D. degree. Applicants with bachelors, masters, and professional degrees are encouraged to apply.
Acceptance is based on undergraduate record (curriculum and grade point average [GPA]), Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores, letters of recommendation, a personal statement of research and career interests, past research activities, and, when possible, a personal interview.
The general requirements for acceptance into the program are:
- minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- combined verbal/quantitative score on the GRE of 1100 old/ 300 new
- a strong background in biology, chemistry, and/or mathematics. Undergraduate level courses in microbiology, cell biology, biochemistry, genetics, organic and analytical chemistry are strongly encouraged. Undergraduate mathematics through calculus and physics are also recommended.
International students must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) earned within the last two years. Applicants with scores of 600 (paper-based) or 250 (computer-based) or higher will be considered.
Applications are reviewed beginning October 15th of each year with offers being made from November 1 until April 15th each year.
Required Application Materials
Domestic students - (No application fee)
- Application and personal statement
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended
- Official GRE scores (Institutional code 1856)
- 3 letters of recommendation (must be submitted online)
International students - ($60 application fee)
- As above, plus official TOEFL scores
NOTE TO INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS: Letters of recommendation must be submitted online
Transcripts - Please have transcripts sent to:
UAB Graduate School
Lister Hill Library
LHL Ground Floor
1720 2nd Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35294
For additional details on the application process, click here
For more information email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org