Aaron Lamar, Jr. Scholarship
The Aaron Lamar, Jr. Scholarship was established in an effort to honor Aaron Lamar, Jr., Ed.D., who served as Associate Vice President / Dean of Students at UAB for 25 years. Dr. Lamar was responsible for the growth and development of many programs and activities at the University. While Dean Lamar certainly valued scholarship, he greatly valued the total development of students through their involvement in co-curricular and community activities. He also valued the diversity of the collegiate environment, believing that this was integral to the education process. The scholarship will be awarded during the Fall semester following selection.
- Be currently enrolled in a degree seeking program at UAB
- Have earned a minimum, overall GPA of 2.5 in course work prior to the time of application and be in good academic standing
- Be classified as a Sophomore, Junior or Senior undergraduate student
- Have demonstrated active participation and leadership in extracurricular and community activities
How to apply:
Applications are available on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 from Hill University Center rooms 110, 133, 136 and 440.
Applications are due Friday, September 16, 2011.
All applications are to be turned in to HUC 133.
For more information call 975-9509.
Henry Briggs, Brian Mahabee, Swapna Kakani and Briauna Knott
Camille Armstrong Memorial Scholarship
The Camille Armstrong Memorial Scholarship Fund was established to award deserving undergraduate African-American students at UAB considering the field of law.. The scholarship is named for a UAB political science senior who was tragically killed in an automobile accident on March 11, 1986. The scholarship fund was established in 1987 to honor the memory of Camille and to preserve the spirit of the life she shared with us.
- Be an undergraduate African-American
- Be currently enrolled in a degree seeking program at UAB that leads to 1st baccalaureate degree
- Be in good academic standing with UAB and demonstrate solid academic promise
- Will have completed at least 60 semester hours by the start of Fall 2010
- Have demonstrated active participation in UAB organizations and involvement in community activities
- Have a career goal of law
- Submit two (2) letters of recommendation (one from a UAB faculty or staff member and the other from a person you know well)
Emerging Leaders Scholarship
In an effort to facilitate the total development of students, the UAB Office of Student Life recognizes the importance of leadership education and seeks to assist students who exhibit outstanding leadership qualities. One means by which the Department demonstrates its commitment to student leadership is through awarding the UAB Emerging Leaders Scholarship to deserving UAB undergraduate students who have exhibited great potential for leadership success.
Virginia D. Gauld National Alumni Society Endowed Scholarship
The Virginia Gauld National Society Endowed Scholarship was established through a gift made by the UAB National Alumni Society and contributions from friends, family, and admirers of Dr. Gauld. During her nearly 30 year tenure at UAB, she enjoyed working with students as a student recruiter and served for 16 years as the Vice President of Student Affairs. Dr. Gauld acted as the catalyst to create projects such as the Campus Recreation Center and the Commons on the Green dining facility. In her role, her main focus was to always to do what was best for the students. This scholarship has been created to allow her legacy to live on through a deserving student who, like Dr. Gauld, has a passion for service in the community and especially at UAB.