Health Care Policy of International Students
May 1, 2000
(Replaces policy dated February 12, 1997)
See also UAB Immunization Policy.
The purpose of this policy is to ensure that international students and scholars have appropriate health-care opportunities and health insurance coverage while they are enrolled as UAB students or are participating in UAB activities.
Students/Scholars Covered by this Policy
- All UAB degree-seeking international students, regardless of courseload, school, or degree program, must participate in the UAB Student Health Service and must have adequate health insurance coverage.
- All transient and temporary international students must have adequate health insurance coverage. Those students may use the services of the UAB Student Health Service on a fee-for-service basis.
- International scholars who participate in activities at UAB for longer than four weeks should be encouraged to participate in the UAB Student Health Service and must have adequate health insurance coverage. International scholars here for four weeks or less who do not participate in the UAB Student Health Service may use the services of Student Health on a fee-for-service basis. The inviting UAB department will be offered the opportunity to accept responsibility for the fee-for-service charges incurred. If the department does not wish to pay the fee-for-service bills, the international scholar will be responsible for the bills.
For purposes of this policy, the following definitions apply:
“Transient international students” are defined as international students who are in the United States under the authorization of another institution or organization but who are taking coursework at UAB.
“Temporary international students” are defined as international students who are taking less than a full-time course of study at UAB and who are not pursuing an official UAB degree or certificate.
“Adequate health insurance” is defined as follows:
- Insurance provided through the UAB Student Health Service, OR
- Equivalent personal health insurance, the evidence for which must be shown to, and verified by, the UAB Student Health Service.
The Vice President for Student Affairs is responsible for procedures to implement this policy.