Rast Hall Lawn Scheduling
I. The Office of Student Life (Events, Programs, Activities) may utilize the Rast/Blount Lawn for programming events as determined by the Assistant Vice President for Student Life. Such programming will occur with the full cooperation of the Department of Student Housing and Residential Life.
II. The use of the Rast/Blount Lawn for student events is restricted to programming activities, which are UAB-funded. The Office of Student Life and Non-academic Judicial Affairs must schedule the event.
- Events Limited to Student Housing Residents
- Student Housing and Residential Life programming funds may be used only to cover costs, including security, for events scheduled exclusively for student housing residents.
- It will be the responsibility of the Resident Assistant(s) submitting the program activity for cleanup of the area.
- The Director of Student Housing and Residential Life and the UAB Chief of Police will determine security requirements jointly. Programming proposals must be submitted at least fourteen days in advance to allow time for scheduling of security. It will be the responsibility of the Assistant Director for Residential Life to schedule security.
- Events Open to All UAB Students
- In conjunction with UAB-funded student organizations, Resident Assistants may schedule programming activities in the Rast/Blount Lawn if the activity is open to all UAB students. The student organization will be required to adhere to the following:
- The Director of Student Housing and Residential Life and the UAB Chief of Police or their designees will determine security requirements jointly. Arrangements must be made by the sponsoring organization through the Office of Student Life at least fourteen days prior to the event. Payment of associated costs must be submitted by this deadline.
- Student organizations must identify a representative to be a contact person/liaison with the UAB Police Department. This person is to be identified at the time security arrangements are made and shall identify himself/herself to UAB Police/Security on site at the event prior to the start of the event.
- The student organization shall be required to have its faculty/staff advisor in attendance for the duration of the sponsored events.
- The group is responsible for cleanup of the lawn. All trash, litter, etc., must be placed in the trash receptacles. The quad must be left in a clean and orderly condition; if this is not done, the group will be levied a minimum maintenance charge of $75.00 minimum. In addition, the group can be required to relinquish all privileges for using the quad for the remainder of the current term and the following term.
- No alcoholic beverages, controlled substances, fireworks, or firearms are permitted on the lawn.
- The faculty/staff advisor, officer, or representative of the sponsoring organization will be required to endorse the following affidavit:
“I have read and understand the policies governing the use of the Rast/Blount Lawn and agree to inform the members of my organization of said policies. We are responsible for the actions of all persons in our activity area of the quad during the reservation period.”