UAB Scholarships and Financial Aid Information
UAB offers a variety of options for financial aid, including scholarships, grants, loans, or work-study. In order to qualify for need-based financial aid (grants, loans, work-study), you’ll need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). More information about need-based aid is available on the Financial Aid website.
University-wide academic scholarship consideration is guaranteed to students who are Alabama residents when they are admitted to UAB by December 1st of their senior year of high school. Academic scholarships are awarded based on ACT and GPA. To see academic scholarships available to Alabama residents, please visit Scholarships for Alabama Residents.
Out-of-state students are guaranteed University-wide academic scholarship consideration when they are admitted by May 1st of their senior year. To see our scholarships for out-of-state students, please visit Scholarships for US Residents.
UAB also offers scholarships for National Merit Finalists, National Achievement Finalists, and National Hispanic Recognition Program Finalists, as well as limited additional scholarships. Information about these is available at www.uab.edu/scholarships.
Freshman Housing Scholarships
All applicants to the Honors College are encouraged to apply for general UAB Housing Scholarships which are valued at $2,000.
College of Arts and Sciences Scholarships
Some schools and departments also offer scholarships to incoming freshmen. Applications and deadlines are available here. For instance, the available scholarships in the College of Arts and Sciences Scholarships can be seen by visiting the following site: http://www.uab.edu/casscholarships/.
Additional scholarships for study abroad/study away and Honors College scholarships may also be available. More information will be posted as it becomes available.
University Honors Program Scholarships
and submit it by the May 1 deadline. Scholarships are awarded by mid-May for the following academic year.
- Three Hess-Abroms scholarships are awarded annually and are currently valued at $24,000, providing $6,000 per year for four years. All students applying for the University Honors Program are eligible and encouraged to apply for a Hess-Abroms Scholarship. There is a brief application form that can be obtained during your January interview.
- Five to eight Virginia B. and William M. Spencer III scholarships valued between $1,000 to $2,000 each are awarded annually to students entering or currently in the UAB Honors Program on the basis of merit and need.
- One Rushton/Alabama Power scholarship valued at $1,600 is awarded on the basis of merit and need.
- Three Juliet Nunn-Pearson scholarships valued at $1,000 each available for incoming freshman only.
- One Steven C. Smith Discovery Award of $1,000 is awarded on the basis of merit and need.