That goal is ambitious, but think of what it represents:
- More scholarships for deserving students, recognizing both their financial need and their academic merit
- A greater ability to recruit a student body who reflects the communities they will serve – urban, rural, black, white, Asian, Hispanic – and who will provide both primary care and specialty care
- Resources to ensure that our house staff and fellows get every opportunity to hone their skills and their professionalism
- Continuing the tradition of truly excellent teaching, allowing us to recruit, retain, and reward those professors who will be remembered as legends by each successive generation
- Enhancing education across every program and platform:
o Simulation and interprofessional learning
o Expanded classrooms and labs
o Support for our Learning Communities
o And investment in the kinds of service opportunities that feed our students’ spirit while giving them real-world, hands-on exposure to what it means to take care of people.
Since October 2008, SOM alumni have contributed more than $20.2 million toward that $30 million goal. Two-thirds of those funds were directed by alumni to the School of Medicine; the balance was directed by those donors to other UAB programs for which they feel a passion, including the arts, athletics, undergraduate programs, and more.
You can be a part of our shared success. Every gift at every level makes a difference, and donors direct their gifts to the people and programs that mean the most to them.
Take a moment to watch the campaign video, and visit the new Alumni Campaign website to learn more about our goals, hear from alumni who have already made their gifts, and see the profound impact of those gifts on our students, faculty, and community.
Let’s do this! Come and join us. Give something – change everything.
Selwyn M. Vickers, M.D., FACS
Senior Vice President for Medicine and Dean
James C. Lee Endowed Chair