Residency and Fellowship Education
In today’s world of ever-changing requirements for graduate medical education, UAB remains committed to preserving our core values of excellence in medicine: the highest degree of skill and clinical reasoning, the lifelong pursuit of knowledge, and the deepest respect for the patient as a person.
UAB’s residency and fellowship programs are structured to provide a diverse clinical experience in inpatient and outpatient settings at four unique hospital sites in Birmingham – UAB Hospital, UAB Highlands, the Birmingham Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Children’s of Alabama – as well as on our regional campuses in Montgomery, Huntsville and Tuscaloosa. We also offer a family medicine residency program in Selma, in Alabama’s Black Belt.
We are committed to our trainees’ professional and personal growth, including developing their skills as team leaders and teachers, researchers, critical appraisers of evidence-based literature, and providing them with the skills to become advocates in patient safety and quality care.
Your gift to residency and fellowship programs will provide:
- Funds for residents and fellows to attend professional and scientific conferences
- Funds to support global/international educational experiences for residents and fellows
- Endowments to support residency and fellowship program directors, such as the Tinsley R. Harrison Endowed Chair in Medical Resident Education
- Doctoral and post-doctoral education in the Joint Health Sciences
- Flexible funds to be used at the discretion of the residency or fellowship program director to support emerging priorities
Your gift may be directed to a specific residency or fellowship program. Click here for a list of those programs, with links to UAB Online Giving for each program.
For information on how you can support residency and fellowship training at UAB:
Virginia Gilbert Loftin
Executive Director of Development and Community Relations