The UAB Center for Glial Biology in Medicine is dedicated to:
- Supporting the research enterprise by serving as a coordination center for initiatives related to Glial Biology as they pertain to neurological diseases & acute brain or spinal cord injuries.
- Advancing knowledge of the interaction of glial cells with other nervous system cells through innovation and research.
- Serving as a liaison to the scientific communities at other institutions within the United States, in general, and the Southeast Region in particular.
- Recruiting scientists and clinicians who will enhance the research effort in Glial Biology as it pertains to Disease and Injury.
- Training researchers for a career in this emerging field of medical and scientific inquiry.
- Providing a forum for education and dissemination of knowledge by hosting regional, national and international conferences on Glial Biology and its application to Health and Medicine