Cardiovascular MRI Facility
Steven G. Lloyd, M.D.
Website: Cardiovascular MRI
The UAB Cardiovascular MRI Facility is administered by the UAB Division of Cardiovascular Disease. It is available for routine and specialized imaging of the entire cardiovascular system. Our highly experienced technical and clinical staff will assist the referring physicians in arranging and performing clinical diagnostic imaging and research studies.
The UAB Cardiovascular MRI facility offers expertise and assistance in the following research capabilities:
- Planning, performing and analyzing all aspects of cardiovascular MRI for humans and large animals.
- Core lab facility for large single or multi-center trials that utilize cardiovascular MRI.
- Providing support to investigators across the campus that want to utilize MRI technology.
- UAB cardiac MRI center is the only dedicated center of its kind in state of Alabama and serves as a referral center for much of the state and adjoining areas.
- 1.5 T GE MRI scanner
- Philips 3T MRI scanner
- Perfusion pumps, hemodynamic measurement devices
- Head coil
- Chest/ cardiac coil
- fMRI capability
- Exercise ergometer (MRI compatible)
- ECG machine
- Cardiology has access to a number of other imaging tools such as cardiac cath labs, EP suites, echocardiographic machines, Nuclear scanners.
Software and Technology
- Cardiac Analysis Packages and workstations (Pie MRV, Flow; Mass Medis; Philips cardiac workstation-beta testing)
- Osirix Viewer
- Software developed in collaboration with Dr. Thomas Denney, Auburn University for the in-depth analysis of cardiac strains