Researcher & Principal-Investigator Subject Pool Guidelines
Greetings and welcome to the Psychology subject pool researcher/principal-investigator web page! This site contains all of the information that you will need to make use of the Psychology subject pool as a researcher or principal investigator. Specifically, it provides access to documents that will be either necessary or of potential value to you as a researcher or PI.
1. One document is the Subject Pool Guide for Researchers. This document is required reading for all researchers and PIs. It discusses processes involved in using the Psychology Subject pool, spells out investigators’ responsibilities in running student participants and provides guidelines for doing so. To access this document, click on the “Subject Pool Guide” link on the left hand side of this screen.
2. A second document is the Sona Psychological Research System User Guide for Researchers and PIs – also required reading for all researchers and PIs. This provides general information about our online Sona research system and a step-by-step description of how investigators should run participants using the system. To access the document, simply click on the “Sona Researcher/PI Guide” link on the left hand side of this screen.
3. A third document is the Introductory Psychology Research Requirement statement that is distributed to students in introductory psychology classes. This describes the PY101/201 research requirement, discusses different ways to meet it and provides guidelines for participating in studies within the Psychology Department. All researchers and PIs could benefit from reviewing this document, as it conveys insight into students’ perspective on the research experience. To access, click on the “Research Requirement” link on the left hand side of this screen.
4. A fourth document is the Sona Psychological Research System User Guide for Participants, which provides general information about the online Sona research system and a step-by-step description of what students need to do to participate using the system. Researchers and PIs could benefit from reviewing this, as it conveys further insight into students’ perspective. To access, click on the “Sona Participant Guide” link on the left hand side of this screen.
5. A fifth document is the Psychology Subject Pool Request Form. In reviewing the Subject Pool Guide for Researchers, you will see that all investigators have to have their studies approved by the Subject Pool Coordinator before they can begin running study participants. The study approval process requires the submission of a completed version of the request form available here (along with evidence of IRB approval). To access, click on the “Research Requirement” link on the left hand side of this screen.
That is it! Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns about using the subject pool or the Sona system.
Ed Cook, PhD
Professor and Psychology Subject Pool Coordinator
Department of Psychology
University of Alabama at Birmingham