Preparing for Service
Approaching a Community Partner
- Read and review Preparing for Service
- Research potential community partners, including Highlighted Community Partners
- Carefully consider how effectively you will be able to serve with this organization: is the location convenient? Are your schedules compatible? Do you have transportation?
- Contact and meet with the community partner to discuss the possibility of serving with the organization
- If this is for a service-learning course, follow any instructions provided by your course instructor on selecting an organization
Before Your Service:
- Read Being a First-Rate Volunteer
- Download the Service Learning Agreement Form
- Submit the completed Service Learning Agreement to your instructor
At Your Site Placement
- You represent UAB in our community. Please act in a manner that strengthens and enhances these relationships.
- Follow all rules and regulations required by the community partner.
- Fulfill the duties you and your Community Partner Supervisor agreed upon. If you have concerns or issues, talk to the organization's volunteer coordinator, your instructor, or UAB Service Learning
- Log your service time for each shift you serve with your community partner
- Upon completion of all your required service hours, ask your community partner supervisor to verify your time log
Keep a Journal
- This is a good place for you to reflect upon your service experiences and documenting and evaluating your time of service and how your attitudes and values may have changed
- Your journal is your back-up for keeping track of days/hours you have served
Complete the Final Evaluation Form
- Download the Student Evaluation Form upon completion of your time of service. Your honest feedback on this form will be valuable to us.