Preparing for Service
Approaching your Community Partner
- Research potential Community Partners with particular reference to Highlighted Community Partners
- Look for something that will challenge you and be relevant to the objectives of your course
- Consider how effectively you will be able to serve with this organization (is the location convenient? Are your schedules compatible? Transport? etc.)
- Discuss your choice of potential Community Partners with your Course Instructor
- Once you have your Course Instructor's pre-approval, discuss how you should approach the Community Partner
- If you intend to approach one of the Highlighted Community Partners, please notify the Director of Service Learning
- Contact and meet with your potential Community Partner and discuss the possibility of your partnering with the organization as part of your service-learning course
Fill out the Service Learning Agreement Form
- Download the Service Learning Agreement Form that Office for Service Learning has set up for your course
- Fill out the Service Learning Agreement Form once you have identified your Community Partner
- Submit the completed Service Learning Agreement to your instructor
Be Responsible and Mature at your Site Placement
- UAB has formed strong relationships with our community partners and we hope that you will strengthen these relationships.
- Dress appropriately (this means no BEER t-shirts, ripped jeans or halter tops)!
- It is important for you to show up ON TIME and to BE PRESENT every time you say you are going to be at your site placement (many organizations rely on their volunteers and your absence can greatly impact their program)
- Act responsibly and maturely when interacting with clients at the organization, especially if you are working with youth and acting as "a role model"
- Be sure you are fulfilling the duties you and your Community Partner Supervisor agreed upon; if you have a problem, be sure to contact the UAB Office for Service Learning or talk to your instructor
Make an Entry on your Service-Learning Time Log each time you attend at your Community Partner Site
- It will be important for you to log your time appropriately on a Service-Learning Time Log
- Upon completion of all your required service hours, it will be YOUR responsibility to request your Community Partner supervisor to verify your Service-Learning Time Log.
Keep a journal
- This is a good place for you to reflect upon your service experiences
- Journals are invaluable tools for remembering and evaluating what you have learned from your time of service and how your attitudes and values may have changed
- Your journal can be your back-up for keeping track of days/hours you have served
Complete the Final Evaluation Form
- Download the Student Evaluation Form upon completion of your time of service. Your honest feedback on this form will be valuable to us.