|September 1 for the CASPA application to be e-submitted|
|September 7 for the UAB Supplemental application|
|October 1 for application complete and verified by CASPA|
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally-accredited college/university
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test scores from the Verbal, Quantitative and Analytic sections. Applicants with advanced degrees whose GRE scores are older than 5 years (i.e. the time limit that ETS will send scores) can request the PA program to consider dated scores if the applicant can provide documentation of their GRE scores directly from the institution they attended. The documentation should be sent directly from the student's graduate degree institution to the PA Admissions office prior to the Sept. 1st deadline for application evaluation. Please note that recent GRE scores often make applicants with an advanced degree more competitive than applicants with an advanced degree that do not have recent GRE scores. Furthermore, as with all applicants, the UAB admissions review committee could still determine that the applicant should retake the GRE and reapply the next application cycle.
Medical College Admission Test
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 (A = 4.0)
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 in natural science courses
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 in the program prerequisite courses, with a minimum grade of C in each
- Technical ability to complete the program (see Essential Requirements and Technical Standards)
- Interview with faculty
- Medical clearance: UAB physician assistant students must be medically cleared for enrollment. Detailed information is available via UAB Student Health Services.
- Undergo a criminal background check and consent to drug testing
- The following prerequisites:
3-4 semester hours of biology II (lab preferred)
3-4 semester hours of microbiology (lab preferred)
3-4 semester hours of human anatomy
3-4 semester hours human physiology (UAB BY 116 or BY 409 equivalent)
8-9 semester hours of general chemistry (labs preferred)
3-4 semester hours of statistics (upper level, population, and/or health-related with lab preferred)
9 semester hours of psychology (general, developmental and abnormal)
Credit for Prior Learning or Experience
Credit is not offered for prior experiential learning or prior course work (the Program does not offer advanced placement). Furthermore, credit is not offered for courses provided by another physician assistant program. No student may omit or waive any of the required clinical year rotations.
Applicants are evaluated on the following criteria:
Academics - Overall GPA, Science GPA, Prerequisite Grades and GRE or MCAT Scores.
Clinical Experience - Experience in health care settings, such as providing direct patient care, surgical experience, shadowing and /or other health care experience, is considered by the admissions committee.
Personal statement - Applicants are evaluated on the quality of their personal statement.
Letters of support - Three (3) letters of support are reviewed and considered.
The PA Program is committed to recruiting and matriculating minority and disadvantaged students for careers as physician assistants.
Listed below are the midrange scores of students admitted into the program. These scores are provided so that applicants can assess their competitiveness.
Prior Experience of Students Admitted to the UAB Physician Assistant Program
This program participates in the Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA). Please consult www.caspaonline.org for more information regarding specific CASPA application requirements, procedures and fees. The CASPA application needs to be completed by September 1 the year prior to admission. Applicants should send all application materials directly to CASPA. Applicants should use GRE Code 0570 when sending GRE scores to CASPA. CASPA will verify the application information and send completed applications to the program.
After completing the CASPA application the applicant should complete the UAB PA Supplemental Application. Following the program’s receipt of the CASPA application, official GRE scores, and UAB SPA Supplemental Application, the UAB PA Program will review the packet.
Completed applications are reviewed by members of the admissions committee. Approximately 150 of the best applicants are selected to interview. Interviews are held in November - January. Admissions decisions are finalized in February. Students who are accepted to the Physician Assistant program will need to complete the UAB Graduate School application.
- September - October: Application review
- November – December: Interviews
- January : Admissions decisions finalized
- February - March: Admitted and waitlisted students complete the UAB Graduate School Application
- April – August: Complete orientation requirements
- CASPA Application fee.
- UAB PA Supplemental Application fee.
- UAB Graduate School Application fee.
- UAB PA Deposit $300.00: for those accepted into the program. The deposit is applied towards tuition in the first semester of the program. The deposit is non-refundable and will be forfeited by the applicant in the event that he/she does not enroll and attend the UAB PA program.
- Other expenses to anticipate:
- GRE or MCAT preparation and examination.
- The cost of sending transcripts to CASPA and UAB.
Student Handbook 2013 - 2014
In order to ensure that patients receive the best medical care possible, the faculty of the UAB PA program has identified certain skills and professional behaviors that are required for successful completion of the program. These skills and behaviors are required to perform a variety of activities within the curriculum and also to function clinically as a physician assistant. Therefore, all students in the PA Program must be able to demonstrate these skills and professional behaviors, including students with disabilities when reasonable accommodations are made by the program.
Minimum Technical (Performance) Standards
Required PA Competencies
Policies & Practices