Contact LocoLabDavid A. Brown, Ph.D. is the director of the UAB stroke research lab known as the Locomotor Control and Rehabilitation Robotics Laboratory. It is located at 516 20th Street South in Birmingham, Ala.
RESEARCH: We seek to understand the underlying control mechanisms of poor locomotor control and to develop quantitative evaluation and intervention tools for the amelioration of locomotor and balance deficits. Our published work has appeared in dozens of peer reviewed journals.
Size limits for the KineAssist include:
- Weight limit – 350 lbs (158.8 kg)
- Patient height – 4' 10" up to 6' 4" (58 - 193 cm)
- Pelvic width – 11.5" – 22.4" (29.2 - 56.9 cm)
MEDIA: If you are a member of the media and wish to conduct an interview about UAB stroke research with Dr. Brown or another member of our staff please contact UAB Media Relations at 205-934-3884.
STUDIES: We are currently working on several studies which include:
- Understanding how muscles turn on and off during cycling while given visual feedback
- Seeing how much force each leg produces when given different levels of assistive force while walking at a comfortable speed
- Determining if walking while doing challenging tasks leads to faster walking speeds 6 months later compared to initial walking speed before training
- Discovering if a patient-centered approach to training yields faster walking speeds
- Using biweekly assessments as part of the training study to determine if targeting specific areas is more beneficial than non-targeted training.