Special Requirements for International Students

English Proficiency

If English is not your native language, you’ll have to show proof of English proficiency by submitting a TOEFL or IELTS test score. Official test scores are required and should be sent directly from the testing agency to UAB. The score you submit should not be more than two years old. Minimum score requirements are:
  • a TOEFL score of 77; or
  • an IELTS score of 6.0 overall with at least a 5.5 on each section of the examination.

UAB’s code number is 1856.

International students who have completed at least two years of high school in the U.S. or have completed at least 24 semester hours of transferable credit at a U.S. college or university don’t have to submit proof of English proficiency.

Contingent Admission

Applicants who meet the university’s academic requirements but do not meet the minimum English proficiency score required for admission may be considered for Contingent Admission. Once all required transcripts are received and reviewed, an admission decision will be rendered as soon as possible.

Applicants offered Contingent Admission must submit an Intensive English Program (IEP) online application and application fee. Students in this category will be required to attend the IEP until they complete Level 5 of the program or achieve the minimum test score requirement for IELTS or TOEFL. Students will not be permitted to begin academic undergraduate coursework until they complete the English language proficiency requirements.


Secondary/High School Transcripts

If you have never attended college and are currently attending a secondary school (high school) outside the U.S., you will apply as a first-time freshman. Applicants from China, Ghana and Nigeria please see additional requirements below.
  • Official transcripts sent directly, by your counselor, to UAB via Naviance eDocs, Docufied by Parchment, postal mail or express courier.
  • All documents must be in English.
  • Country specific requirements.
    • China: Send an original academic transcript issued by the school in English directly to UAB. And, you MUST arrange for a verification report of your General Graduation Examination (Huikao) or High School Academic Proficiency Test (APT) with the China Academic Degree and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC). The report must be mailed directly to Undergraduate Admissions by the CDGDC, rather than by you or any third party. Any verification not mailed by the CDGDC will not be considered. www.cdgdc.edu.cn
    • Ghana: External examination results for the Senior School Certificate must be sent directly to UAB by the West African Examinations Council (WAEC). ghana.waecdirect.org
    • Nigeria: External examination results for the Senior School Certificate must be sent directly to UAB by the West African Examinations Council (WAEC). www.waecnigeria.org
Note – UAB reserves the right to require an independent evaluation of any transcript submitted.

Foreign University Transcripts & Transfer Credit

If you’ve attended a college or university outside the U.S. for more than one year or have earned credit for at least 24 semester hours of coursework, you’ll need to request a course-by-course evaluation of your transcript or mark sheet by one of the agencies below.

If you’ve attended classes for less than one year as a full-time student, or if you’ve earned fewer than 24 semester hours of credit, you’ll need to have both official college and secondary school documents sent to the credentials service. You’ll need to request a document-by-document evaluation of your secondary-school coursework and a course-by-course evaluation of your college- or university-level coursework.

The following services can evaluate your secondary-school and university documents. Request that a completed copy of the evaluation be sent directly to the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
Phone: 414-289-3400
Fax: 414-289-3411

World Education Services
P.O. Box 5087, Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087
Phone: 212-966-6311
Fax: 212-739-6120

Health Insurance

When you’re admitted to UAB, you are required to:

  • have a medical health history provided by a physician (a form will accompany your immigration document);
  • have proof of vaccinations for measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, diphtheria, and meningitis, plus a tuberculin skin test;
  • participate in the UAB Student Health Service (no exceptions); and
  • have hospitalization insurance, either through UAB or a comparable insurance policy. Unless you purchase comparable insurance and present it before the last day of late registration, you’ll be charged for UAB health insurance.
For more details, visit Student Health Services.