Aluminum cans and #1 and #2 plastic bottles may be placed in green receptacles shown in the picture with Blaze. Paper and cardboard are collected in 96 gallon rolling totes labeled “paper recycling only.” The following items can be placed in the paper collection totes:
- Office paper
- Cardboard boxes (broken down and flattened)
- Phone books
- Other common paper items (paper bags, mail, envelopes, folders)
**We cannot recycle material that has come into contact with food, beverages, or grease. Throw those pizza boxes in the trash!The UAB Recycling Center also has a dropoff area where you can take recyclable material from home or work. The Center accepts:
- Aluminum cans (soda, beer)
- Steel food cans (soup, tuna, etc)
- #1 and #2 plastic bottles, empty and rinsed (soda, water, detergent, milk, etc) **no plastic bags, plates, flatware
Used cooking oil/grease. White shed at Drop-off Entrance. Empty jugs on top shelf, full jugs go on the bottom shelf.
Refer to the UAB Recycling Brochure for more information.
Alkaline batteries, such as AA, AAA, etc are not recyclable and are not hazardous waste. These batteries can go into regular trash. Lithium, NiCad and lead acid batteries are considered Universal Wastes, along with fluorescent lamps and ballasts. These items must be stored in a secure area and labeled properly. There are various staging areas around campus for collection of these items, though only items generated on UAB property will be accepted. For more information, please visit the OH&S website.
Most pallets come to main Receiving locations throughout campus, such as the Hospital General Services Building. However, if you have pallets for disposal, please drop them at our central pallet collection for recycling instead of putting them in the dumpster. The collection is on the back side of the Chevron Building (site of the Campus Maintenance Warehouse). Drive along the back side of Chevron, past the Motor Pool fuel pumps, to the end of the building and last loading dock. Please leave pallets on the right side of the dumpster. Pallets are collected weekly from this site for reuse.
For information about recycling in non-UAB residences, please refer to this Birmingham Recycles brochure .
City of Birmingham Recycling
Carpool with Your Co-Workers
Use the CommuteSmart program to save yourself money, help the environment, and make parking a better experience for everyone in the UAB community.
Reuse UAB Property
UAB Staff and Faculty can obtain chairs, desks, file cabinets, bookcases, computers, and many other items from the UAB Surplus Warehouse. These gently used items are free to UAB Departments, though there is a charge if you need the UAB Movers to help with your items. Check out the website for the policies and procedures for turning over your unwanted UAB property or obtaining property from them.
UAB Human Resources offers Employee Wellness programs, including fun runs, smoking cessation programs, health screenings, produce farm stands, and more.
Get Into Wellness
AASHE, which is an organization of colleges and universities that are working to advance sustainability in higher education. our AASHE membership covers everyone on campus, so you can access AASHE's online resources and opportunities for networking, information sharing, collaboration, curriculum development, and professional development as a faculty or staff member at UAB.
Volunteer in the Community
Find time to volunteer with one of the non-profit environmental groups listed on the bottom part of our Partners page, or similar entity.
You can help save water and energy through habits in your working and living areas. Here are a few suggestions:
Be Energy and Water Wise!
- Report energy and water problems like leaky faucets to Campus Maintenance at 4-5353 or Hospital Maintenance at 4-6181.
- In the winter, open the shades in your area to let the sun in and help heat the building. In the summer, set the blinds to allow light in but not the sun’s rays to reduce building cooling needs.
- If you expect to be away from your area for more than 8 minutes, turn the lights off.
- Notify Energy Management at 5-7140 if you notice any outside lights on during the day.
- Turn computers, printers, copiers, etc off when not in use. Do not leave computers on with the screen saver.
- Avoid using space heaters, as are inefficient and may be a fire hazard. If you are having heating/cooling issues, call Campus or Hospital Maintenance.