From 1957 to 1967 The Women's Club (University of Alabama School of Dentistry) and Faculty Wives Club (Medical College of Alabama) met as two separate organizations. In 1967, as the University of Alabama at Birmingham became a separate and distinct institution, the two groups combined to form the Faculty Women's Club of the University of Alabama at Birmingham. The group was originally created to link female faculty and faculty wives seeking an intellectually stimulating, diverse social and service group. Recently membership has been expanded to include more women in the UAB community. On August 27, 2010, the membership voted to change the name of the organization to the University of Alabama at Birmingham Women's Club (UABWC).
Any woman who herself or whose husband has/had a full-time, part-time, or volunteer appointment at UAB or is designated as a member of the senior administrative staff of the institution by the President shall be eligible for membership.
Honorary membership shall be open to women proposed by the executive board and approved by the club at a general meeting.
A guest member of the club shall be any member who herself or whose husband holds a faculty appointment at another university, is at UAB temporarily and is not working on a graduate degree. A guest member, upon payment of dues, is eligible for full privileges of membership.
A sustaining membership may be acquired by any member who has been a regular dues-paying member in good standing whose connection with the university is severed. She may continue with full privileges of membership by informing the chairman of her intention to continue and by paying her annual dues.
Membership dues are now being accepted for the 2012-13 calendar year and can be paid online. Please visit our Membership page for more information.