- Courses and Resources
- Summer Opportunities
- Other Opportunities
All courses that have been identified as "undergraduate research" courses incorporate research and scholarly work as a major teaching method and prepare students to conduct scholarly activity in their area of study. Students who are interested in research should meet with their advisor prior to enrolling in one or more of the following courses, as many have prerequisites or minimum GPA requirements. Consult with your advisor or the course catalog to find out more about these courses. Resources
A few of the more helpful resources that list faculty and their research interest are found at the following sites:
- Web Guide to Research for Undergraduates (WebGURU) provides undergraduates interested in and/or currently participating in undergraduate research experiences in science, technology, engineering, an/or mathematics with ready information and links to reliable electronic resources on all aspects of the undergraduate research experience.
- ResearchMatch.org is a not-for-profit Web site that brings together researchers and people who are willing to learn more about research studies in a secure and convenient manner.
- The Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR) and its affiliated colleges, universities, and individuals share a focus on providing undergraduate research opportunities for faculty and students at predominantly undergraduate institutions. CUR believes that faculty members enhance their teaching and contribution to society by remaining active in research and by involving undergraduates in research.
- UAB Media Relations Expert Guide: A large searchable list of UAB researchers which can be sorted by name or Area of Expertise.
- School of Medicine (SOM) Mentors: A searchable list of UAB researchers in the School of Medicine program.
- Graduate Biomedical Sciences (GBS) Themes: List of interdisciplinary thematic programs in the Biomedical Sciences
- Cellular and Molecular Biology Theme: A list of over 150 faculty from the Cellular and Molecular Biology Theme.
- Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics Theme: A list of different faculty in the Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics Theme.
- Research Faculty and Research Projects in the UAB Chemistry Department: A list of Chemistry faculty and their research projects.
- Research Opportunities in Psychology: A list of research opportunities with Psychology faculty.
- BMD 300: Laboratory Techniques in Biotechnology I
- SIBS — UAB Sumer in Biomedical Sciences
- SURE (Surgery Undergraduate Research Experience)
- UAB American Physician Scientist Association Chapter
- Center for Nanoscale Materials and Biointegration REU
- Summer Program in Neuroscience (SPIN)
- Pipeline programs for Medical School
- UAB Genentech Research Scholars Fellowship Program
External (Off Campus)
- Summer in Biomedical Sciences
- Summer Program in Neuroscience (SPIN)
- Experimental and Computational Material Research
- Ethnoarchaeology in Fiji
- REU: Social Sciences, Natural Sciences, and Mathematics to Study Crime
- Minority Health & Helath Disparities Research Center: Summer Enrichment Program
- UAB DragonTrail Jobs
- UAB Prep Scholars Program
The opportunity to present your research is available through the Expo that it hosted each year by the Office of Undergraduate Research. After presenting your research, taking the steps to publish is extremely beneficial for your portfolio. Undergraduate research journals and conferences provide excellent opportunities to distributes your research results and shows a serious commitment to advancement in your field.
- UAB Journals
- Undergraduate Journals
Inquiro is a journal for undergraduates that is produced by undergraduates. Any students who have conducted scientific research at UAB or another university are eligible to submit their work for publication. Deadlines for submissions can be found at their website.
Aura Literary Arts Review is a student literary arts journal produced by students at the University of Alabama. The journal offers quality poetry, short fiction, creative nonfiction, and visual artwork.
Vulcan Historical Review is an award winning annual student published Historical journal sponsored by UAB's Chi Omicron chapter of the Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society and the UAB Department of History. Submissions of articles, book reviews, and film reviews on historical topics are welcome from any UAB undergraduate or graduate student, as well as alumni.
Sanctuary is a student led literary and arts journal. Submissions are collected, pieces are reviewed, and the book is published completely by Honors Program students. All students on the Sanctuary editorial board are from the University of Alabama at Birmingham and we pride ourselves with publishing quality content every year for Southern Regional Honors colleges to enjoy. We see Sanctuary as a way for honors students in the Southeast to showcase their artistic talent, whether they be pursuing art as their career or as a healthy break from the sciences. In Sanctuary, we show the best of the work that southern collegiate honors students create and help these fantastic poets, artists, and writers gain some recognition and see their work published in a physical book.
Journal of Young Investigators is an exciting, student-led initiative to broaden the scope of the undergraduate scientific experience. JYI provides opportunities for students to participate in the scientific review and publication processes, primarily through the operation of its peer-reviewed journal for undergraduates.
The Council on Undergraduate Research provides publication listings for undergraduate journals across the nation.
The University of Maryland provides a categorical list of undergraduate research journals.