Spencer Honors House
The center of identity and community for the University Honors Program is the Spencer Honors House, a historic church located near the center of the UAB campus at 1190 10th Avenue South. The church was built in 1901 and was used by different religious denominations throughout its storied history. In the 1970s it was used by the Alabama Ballet company as a rehearsal space for performances which included those of Mikhail Baryshnikov. The University Honors Program was founded in 1983 and was initially housed in a house further down Tenth Avenue South. With the guidance of the founding director, Dr. Ada Long and the hard work of the initial class of honors students, the church was transformed into a useable space for our fledgling honors program in 1984.