Our program accepts approximately 50 students a year (last year we had 359 applicants). All applicants receive an interview in late January or early February.
We have a flexible admissions policy, meaning that we do not use a minimum ACT/SAT score or GPA as a criterion for entry into the program. Intellectual curiosity, strong motivation, and a willingness to explore and develop one's talents define the University Honors Program student.
There is a common application for all Honors College programs. It consists of the following:
- Résumé: Prepare a Résumé listing your activities, interests, and accomplishments in high school.
- Essay: Write an essay of no more than 500 words using the following prompt: What intrigues you? Describe a particular work of art, a scientific achievement, a place you have been to or seen depicted, a piece of literature, a film, a class assignment, or some other object or event that falls outside this list, and explain its significance to you.
- Recommendations: Please have ready the names, email addresses, and phone numbers, of two people who will provide letters of recommendation in support of your application. These can be teachers, counselors, employers, or anyone else who can speak to your potential as an honors student.
- The deadline for submitting these materials is DECEMBER 15th.
- You must be admitted to the University before you can be considered for these opportunities. Please be sure you complete UAB's Application for Undergraduate Admission as soon as possible, if you haven't already.
Timeline (senior year of high school):
December 1 - deadline for application to UAB (for automatic scholarship consideration)
December 15 - deadline for Honors College application
Late January/Early February - in-person interview (Saturdays)
Late February - students notified of acceptance status
May 1 - students must confirm their intent to enroll