Our program accepts approximately 50 students a year. All applicants receive an interview in late January or early February.
To apply for admission to the University Honors Program in fall 2014, you must submit an online application consisting of the following by December 15th, 2013:
- Résumé: Prepare a résumé listing your activities, interests, and accomplishments in high school.
- Essay: Write an essay of no more than 500 words using the following prompt: Our interdisciplinary arts and sciences program offers an array of unique honors seminars every year (see the UHP website for examples). If you could create your own honors seminar, what topic would you choose for it and why? Indicate what issues your seminar would address and describe their educational value. Briefly describe a unique assigned reading, individual/group assignment, guest speaker, or field trip you would incorporate, and explain how it would contribute to your seminar.
- Recommendations: Please have ready the names, email addresses, and phone numbers, of two people who will provide letters of recommendation in support of your application. These can be teachers, counselors, employers, or anyone else who can speak to your potential as an honors student.
- The deadline for submitting these materials is DECEMBER 15th.
- You must be admitted to the UAB Honors College before you can be considered for the University Honors Program. Please be sure you complete UAB's Application for Undergraduate Admission as soon as possible, if you haven't already.
Timeline (senior year of high school):
December 1 - deadline for application to UAB (for automatic scholarship consideration)
December 15 - deadline for University Honors Program application
Late January/Early February - in-person interview (Saturdays)
Late February - students notified of acceptance status
May 1 - students must confirm their intent to enroll