Santa visits University Hospital with a little help from the elves of the Maintenance Department, circa 1990. The University Hospital Maintenance Department began collecting for the Christmas Toy Fund in 1981 to ensure that hospitalized patients received gifts during the holiday.
Image ID: P16.1.11, #0170
Sarah Cole Brown with rare items from the Reynolds Historical Library, circa 1975. Brown became chief librarian at the Medical Center in 1955 and in October 1971 became the first director of the newly opened Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences. Brown retired from UAB in 1977.
Image ID: P7.2.1 , #044
Blazer Quarterback Doug Gann (left) in the first NCAA football game for UAB, September 7, 1991. The university fielded a club team in 1989 but in the fall of 1991 UAB began play as an NCAA Division III team. In the game played in Jackson, Mississippi, the Blazers lost to Millsaps College.
Image ID: P6.1, #2742
Groundbreaking for a new research facility, June 5, 1990. President Charles A. McCallum, Jr., speaks to the crowd assembled for the ceremony. When opened in 1993 the building was named in honor of Alabama Representative Tom Bevill. Seated on the platform with Dr. McCallum are UAB officials (left to right) Drs. John R. Durant, Vice President for Health Affairs; Victor J. Matukas, Dean of Dentistry; and James A. Pittman, Jr., Dean of Medicine.
Image ID: P6 #01
Dedication of the Bell Building, May 16, 1971. UAB President Joseph F. Volker (left) and members of the Bell family attend the dedication of the Bell Building. Part of the Ullman-Bell complex, the building was named in honor of the late Dr. George C. Bell, who had served as the first principal of the Ullman High School from 1937 until 1965.
Image ID: P1, #0364
Ceremonial first pitch for the Jerry D. Young Memorial Field, April 18, 1985. Brooks Robinson, a Hall of Famer and former Baltimore Oriole, threw out the first pitch at the dedicatory game at the Young Memorial Field. The UAB Blazers defeated Ole Miss 8 to 2. UAB’s first on-campus home for baseball had been in use for just over a year when it was formally dedicated in honor of the founding dean of the School of Business and the Vice President for Finance at the time of his death in 1983.
Image ID: P6.1, #0698
A mummy is scanned in University Hospital, 1988. Prior to being displayed at the Birmingham Museum of Art as part of the Birmingham Festival of Arts, the mummy of an Egyptian female was brought to UAB for examination. Officials used a CAT scan to examine the remains of the 2,000-year old woman, who became the “oldest patient” ever examined at University Hospital.
Image ID: P23.3, #572
Jefferson Hospital postcard, ca. 1941. The county’s new hospital was constructed with over $2 million in federal funding and was dedicated in December of 1940. It was called “the South’s finest private hospital.” The first patient was admitted to Jefferson Hospital on February 1, 1941; he was a construction worker who had helped lay the building’s foundation.
Image ID: MC51, #127g