Columbus statue unveiled, October 1992. A marble statue of Christopher Columbus was unveiled on the terrace of the UAB Smolian International House as part of Birmingham’s Columbus Day celebration. The project was supported by the local chapter of the Knights of Columbus and by the Bruno family. UAB President Charles A. McCallum, Jr. (far right), Joseph S. Bruno (center), and other guests are shown with the work of sculptor Ugo Sordelli.Image ID: P7.4.1, #594
The UAB Marching Blazers, circa 1994. Following a debut during an away game, the marching band performed at home for the first time at Legion Field on September 17, 1994, with music professor Clifford Winter (second from right) as band director and student Brian Wilson as the first drum major. UAB had hosted a pep band for basketball games since the late 1970s, but a new NCAA-level football team needed a marching band to perform during half-time shows.
Image ID: P6, #002
Image ID: P6, #007
The Kirklin Clinic, 1992. In 1990 ground was broken for a new outpatient clinic for The University of Alabama Health Services Foundation. Designed by renowned architect I.M. Pei, the facility was named in honor of Dr. John W. Kirklin, former chair of the UAB Department of Surgery and former president of the foundation. The Kirklin Clinic was dedicated on June 5, 1992.
A parade kicks off Birmingham's celebration of the Centennial Olympic Games, July 19, 1996. Legion Field was a host site for soccer matches as part of the XXVI Olympic Games held in Atlanta, Georgia. Over 431,200 people attended the eleven matches held in Birmingham. The West Field on the UAB campus was used as a practice site, and UAB was the location for a reception honoring local volunteers. This parade traveled down South 20th Street through the UAB campus.
Image ID: P23.1
The Shuttle Columbia roars into space, June 25, 1992. Aboard Columbia was Dr. Lawrence “Larry” DeLucas, a member of the UAB faculty and a UAB alumnus. The university’s first astronaut and the first optometrist in space, Dr. DeLucas was a payload specialist aboard NASA space mission STS-50. Columbia and crew returned to earth on July ninth. This image is an official NASA photograph.
Image ID: P7.3.6, #0120
Jimmie Ethel Montgomery, circa 1925. On May 26, 1925, Montgomery received a bachelor's degree in medicine from the two-year basic sciences program at the University of Alabama becoming the first female graduate of the medical school. In 1928 Montgomery received the M.D. from the University of Minnesota. She was a general practitioner in Bibb County, Alabama, and died in 1982.
Image: The Corolla yearbook
Hulsey Fine Arts Center, circa 1982. The Hulsey Center for the Arts and Humanities, more commonly known as the Hulsey Fine Arts Center, was completed in 1981 and was officially opened on April 30, 1982. A renovation project completed in 2004 gave the center a new main entrance along South 13th Street. The Center is named in honor of UAB benefactors William Hansell and Susan Mabry Hulsey.
Image ID: P7.3.3, #70
Officials break ground in the Medical Center for a building to house the Jefferson County Public Health Department, March 12, 1947. Participants include second from left James W. Morgan, County Commissioner; fifth from left James E. Folsom, Sr., Governor of Alabama; sixth from left Dr. D. J. Gill, state health officer, and seventh from left Dr. George A. Denison, county health officer. Dr. Alfred A. Walker, chair of the county health board, operates the steam shovel. When the building opened in 1948, the health department was able to vacate space in the Jefferson-Hillman Hospital that was needed for the growing medical school and the new dental school.Image ID: MC51, 127i
President S. Richardson Hill, Jr., at his desk, circa 1978. Dr. Hill became the second President of UAB on February 1, 1977, and served until his retirement in 1987. He had previously served as Vice President for Health Affairs, as Dean of the medical school, and as first director of the Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism. Dr. Hill came to UAB in 1954 and he remained involved on the campus until his death in 2003.
Image ID: P7.2.1, #1023
President Charles A. McCallum, Jr., welcomes a visitor to his office in Mortimer Jordan Hall, January 1992. Trash Gordon, the new mascot of the UAB Recycling Program, was introduced that month and appeared at events on campus and around the metropolitan area. The program also introduced a new theme: "We're litter free at UAB: reduce it, redo it, recycle."
Image ID: P7.4.1, #337