These images may be protected under The Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code), which governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. The images below may not be copied and may not be used without the written permission of the UAB Archives. All rights reserved.

Refer to the Policies tab above for additional information on copyright and reproductions.

Select thumbnail for a larger image.

1612 WBHMPatricia Livingston on the air at WBHM, December 5, 1976.  UAB was granted a license for a public radio station early in 1976, and the station went live on Sunday the fifth of December.  WBHM originally broadcast seven-days a week between 6:00 a.m. and 1:00 a.m. and was housed in the old mathematics building at 11th Street South; it remains in the same location today.  UAB and the Birmingham community are currently celebrating the 40th anniversary of listener-supported WBHM 90.3 FM Radio.

Image ID:  P46.1

On this anniversary of the station, the UAB Archives is pleased to announce the opening of a WBHM archival collection that contains photographs, scrapbooks, publications, etc.  Click here to contact the UAB Archives for information on Record Group 46, WBHM 90.3 FM Radio.
1611 Holiday
Holiday cheer in the hospital, November 1982.  Roland Sams, an elevator operator in University Hospital, shared some cheer with patients and visitors during the Thanksgiving holiday.

Image ID:  P7.4.1, #2262
1610 CapiloutoDean Eli Capilouto in front of the Ryals Building, circa 1996. The Frank and Kathleen Ellis Ryals Building, a new home for the School of Public Health, was dedicated October 29, 1996.  The Ryals was the first building constructed solely for use by the school.  Previously other facilities around campus had been used by Public Health as space became available.  Dr. Eli Capilouto was dean of the school from 1994 until 2001.  He was Provost of UAB from 2002 until 2011.

Image ID:  P6, #0003
1609 CGSStudents in Birmingham, circa 1966.  On September 15, 1966, the extension program in Birmingham was officially renamed as the College of General Studies.  There were 4,600 students enrolled in courses in business, education, engineering, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences.  Dr. George W. Campbell was named as first dean of the new college.

Image ID:  P7.3.3, #0088
1608 NorthWingNorth Wing, August 1966.  The first major addition to University Hospital in decades, the North Wing was dedicated during ceremonies held August 20-21, 1966.  The seven story addition provided space for the emergency department, new operating suites, diagnostic radiology, and 100 beds for psychiatric patients.  This western side of North Wing is no longer visible as the Quarterback Tower currently stands where the parking lot existed at the time of the dedication.

Image ID: P16.1.3, #3208
1607 Kirklin
Touring University Hospital, 1966. Dr. Alan R. Dimick (left) and Dr. John W. Kirklin (right) provide a hospital tour for a member of the Shriner organization. Kirklin, a renowned surgeon at the Mayo Clinic, was recruited to Birmingham in July of 1966. At UAB he served as chair of the surgery department, as director of the cardiothoracic surgery division, as hospital chief-of-staff, and as founder and president of the Health Services Foundation. He retired from UAB in 1997.

Image ID:  P7.2.8, #0359
1606 WonderHonorary Degree Awarded, June 2, 1996.  Dr. Joan F. Lorden, dean of the Graduate School, hoods Stevie Wonder during UAB's commencement ceremony.  UAB awarded the honorary Doctor of Music degree to Stevie Wonder, the world-renowned singer, composer, and musician.  Wonder worked extensively over the years with long-time UAB faculty member Dr. Henry S. Panion, III, who served as chair of the UAB music department from 1994 until 2000.

Image ID:  P7.3.13, #0962

1605 Smolian
Groundbreaking ceremony, May 2, 1991.  Dr. John D. Jones, vice president for Student Affairs, watches a member of the UAB community participating in the groundbreaking for a new international house.  The Bertha and Joseph Smolian International House on 10th Avenue South was formally dedicated on April 28, 1992.  It was named in honor of long-time UAB benefactors; an earlier International House on 9th Avenue South had also been named in honor of the Smolians.

Image ID #P23.3

1604 SHRPThe dedication of a new building for the School of Health Related Professions (SHRP), April 24, 2002.  Dean Harold P. Jones speaks to those assembled, including UAB President W. Ann Reynolds, for the dedication of the first campus facility -- visible in the background -- constructed solely for SHRP.  In April of 2006 the school was renamed as the School of Health Professions (SHP), and in 2013 a two-story addition was completed on the building.

Image ID:  P23.2

1603 BallBlazer basketball seniors, 1982.  With the championship trophy, seniors who helped the UAB Blazers win the Sun Belt Conference Tournament in 1982 are left to right (front row) Raymond Gause and Scott Simcik and (back row) Lex Drum and Cliff Pruitt.  UAB first hosted a conference basketball tournament in Birmingham in February 1982.  UAB defeated Virginia Commonwealth to win the tournament and gain UAB’s first basketball championship.  The 1982 tournament was the most successful in the history of the conference with a record 29,079 attendees.  As conference champions, the Blazers automatically advanced to the NCAA tournament where they defeated Indiana – the defending national champions – and Virginia before falling to Louisville.  The team’s final record for the season was 25-6.

Image ID:  Media Guide

For the second consecutive year, UAB hosted the C-USA Men’s and Women’s basketball tournaments with games played in Bartow Arena and at the Birmingham-Jefferson Civic Center (BJCC). The tournament was held March 8-12.  Go Blazers!!!
1602 LamarAaron L. Lamar, Jr., (center) welcomes two new UAB Ambassadors, 1978.  Dr. Lamar joined the UAB faculty in 1973 and in 1978 was named as associate vice president and dean of Student Affairs, the first African American named to a senior administrative position at UAB.  Dr. Lamar received the 1994 President’s Medal and remained at UAB until his retirement in 1998.  UAB established a student scholarship in his name.

Image ID:  P7.4.1, #0694

1601 Police
Members of the UAB Police Department, 1978. Outside the department’s headquarters with a fleet of patrol cars are (left to right): patrolmen J. C. Johnson, Doug Gilmer, Les Nicholson, Jim Hicks, and Sgt. Paul Harrington. The police department was organized in 1972 and occupied a building at 910 South 15th Street until 1992 when the department was moved to a newly acquired building on South 14th Street. The old headquarters building was later used by several UAB departments before being demolished for the construction of the Campus Green.

Image ID:  P7.4.1, #0605