Clickers-Audience Response SystemsUAB Clickers
In an effort to establish a well supported, cost-effective use of clickers (classroom interactive response systems), and to assist with their integration across campus, UAB has selected i>Clicker as the standard UAB Response System. The i>clicker system was chosen for its ease of use, compatibility with UAB computing environment and technical support.
How Do I Get Started?
Faculty interested in using i>clickers should request an instructor kit. Once requested, a kit can be acquired at the Center for Teaching & Learning. It includes a base receiver and USB cable, flash drive and instructor remote unit.
During Spring 2013, instructors will be asked to carry the i>clicker receiver to their classroom. The receivers will be added to standard classroom equipment as of Summer, 2013.
A list of technology enhanced classrooms that will be equipped with i>clicker receivers is available HERE.
For use in other classrooms, faculty should use the individual receiver included in their instructor kits.
Allow 5 - 7 business days for shipping of the instructor's. When the kit comes in, we will send an email so that the requesting faculty may come by to pick it up.
Student i>clicker2 units are available through the Barnes & Noble UAB bookstore and Snoozy's. The current suggested retail price is $48 per unit; there are no annual license fees. To register the unit, please access the link your instructor has provided in Blackboard. The unit can be used in multiple classes.
Note: i>clickerGO is a smartphone based alternative to the hardware devices, but this option is disabled by default and must be enabled by the course instructor. Please verify that your instructor will allow this alternative before purchasing any app subscriptions.
- Become active participants in class
- Get instant feedback on their knowledge and/or comprehension
- Receive instruction adapted to their immediate needs
- Find out how they measure up to the rest of the class
- Voice their opinion without apprehension or embarrassment
- Express themselves in spite of shyness
- Identify areas they need to improve on
Benefits to Faculty
- Gather data to gauge students' comprehension before moving on
- Poll students and display class results instantly
- Enhance large lecture class with increased student participation and interaction
- Increase students' understanding and retention of topics by keeping them engaged
- Allow anonymity on controversial questions
- Provide feedback to students on their understanding
- Check if students can apply a concept to a different context
- Transform one-way teacher lecture into teacher-student interaction
- Get a large volume of individual answers immediately
- Reduce time on administrative tasks such as grading and taking attendance
For issues with the i>clicker Response System units, software and features, please contact:
i>clicker Technical Support Team
Monday - Thursday: 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. CST
Friday: 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. CST
For issues using the i>clicker Response System within your technology enhanced classroom, please contact:
AskIT at 205-996-5555 (6-5555 on campus) or submit a ticket.