Admission RequirementsAdmission to the MSFS program requires the approval of the UAB Graduate School and the program director. Application for admission can be made online through the UAB Graduate School website, or call (205) 934-8227.
Minimum admission requirements are as follows:
- A bachelor's or master's degree in chemistry or biology from an accredited institution.
- A BS degree in forensics should come from a FEPAC-accredited program.
- A chemistry-related degree is acceptable if it includes instrumental and quantitative chemistry courses (see the levelling courses information on the Program Requirements page).
- A biology-related degree is acceptable if it includes biochemistry and cellular and molecular biology courses (see the levelling courses information on the Program Requirements page).
- An overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0, based on a 4.0 system, or a 3.2 GPA for the last 60 semester hours in a BA/BS program.
- A 3.0 GPA in all previous graduate coursework.
- The minimum recommended GRE score for admission is 300 (combined) on the verbal and quantitative sections of the test.
- Students are recommended to have completed at least two of the following courses (earning a minimum grade of B in each course): quantitative chemistry (wet analytical chemistry), instrumental chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, and statistics.
The following criteria are also considered in the admissions process:
- Evidence of scholarship.
- Statement of career goals.
- Letters of recommendation (2-3).
- Professional experience.
Exceptional students who fail to meet any of the above requirements will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Application DeadlineStudents are admitted to the MSFS Program for fall semester. The application deadline is January 31st for the fall semester of that calendar year. Late applications will be accepted until April 30th; however, once the maximum expected enrollment is reached, late applications may not be considered.
Please review the admissions checklist for additional details.
Application ProcessApplication materials are received by the graduate school, then made available to the MSFS Program Director. Please refer to the UAB Graduate School online application system for questions concerning submitting your application.
Your application is considered complete when:
- payment of the application fee is received
- the online application (including personal statement) is completed
- official transcripts are received by the UAB Graduate School
- three letters of recommendation are received by the UAB Graduate School or the MSFS Director
- standardized test scores (GRE, TOEFL for non-native English speakers) are received by the UAB Graduate School
1720 2nd Ave. S
Birmingham, AL 35294-4562