The Network is not a 911 or an emergency service.

Do not use this site to report events presenting an immediate threat to life or property. Reports submitted through this service may not receive an immediate response. If you require emergency assistance, please call 911.

First and foremost, emergencies should be directed to the UAB Police or 9-1-1.

For all others, there are many ways to fulfill your obligation to report concerns of wrongful conduct. Before reporting, it is often helpful to seek clarification about the law, regulation, or policy you believe has been violated. You may find after closer review that a violation has not occurred.

If, however, your review of applicable materials supports your reasonable belief that there has been a violation, it is your responsibility to inform someone who can take action to address it. There are a number of channels open to you, but only you can determine the most appropriate way to make a report based on the circumstances and your comfort level.


It is generally best to communicate the issue first to your immediate supervisor or manager.

Directory of UAB Contacts for Compliance Questions

If you are uncomfortable discussing the matter with your supervisor, or if you think the supervisor has not completely addressed your inquiry, there are other central offices at UAB that can offer you support. The Directory of Contacts for UAB Compliance Questions provides a list of individuals and units who can answer questions about legal, regulatory, or policy-related requirements in specific areas who may also initiate reviews, as appropriate.

Additionally, you may seek advice from other resources on campus, including the University Compliance Office or the compliance office for the UAB health-related entity in which your concern arose, Human Resources, Financial Affairs, Internal Audit, Risk Management, and Legal Counsel. Employment-related matters, in particular, should be directed to Human Resources.

UAB Ethics Hotline

There may be times when you do not feel comfortable reporting your concern to an individual or unit internally or feel that doing so has been unsuccessful in resolving the issue. In these instances, you should not feel restricted to reporting through traditional management channels. You may call the UAB Ethics Hotline toll-free at the phone number below or submit a report to the UAB Ethics Hotline by clicking on the button on this page. In your report, you may remain anonymous, although providing contact information helps to facilitate an investigation.

The hotline is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by trained professionals who take calls and ensure reports are made to appropriate university personnel for follow-up. The hotline is designed for use by all members of the UAB community -- the University of Alabama at Birmingham, UAB Health System, University of Alabama Health Services Foundation (HSF), and other UAB affiliates. The hotline is administered by Navex, a third-party organization.

If you choose to report concerns through the UAB Ethics Hotline, you should be prepared to answer specific questions regarding the time and location of the incident or circumstances, who was involved, if there were any witnesses or others with information, and any detail or support that would be helpful in conducting a review to arrive at a determination.  To maintain your anonymity, you will be assigned a report number which you will need when you call back to add information or check the status of your report at a later date. FOR ANONYMOUS REPORTS, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO MAKE THE FOLLOW-UP CALL IN CASE OTHER INFORMATION IS NEEDED FOR CLARIFICATION.

Outside Resources

Although UAB welcomes direct reports of wrongful conduct so that it may review and address them quickly and thoroughly, there are outside resources available for reporting, as well. Entities to whom disclosure may be made include:

  1. A Member of Congress or representative of a committee of Congress;
  2. An Inspector General;
  3. The Government Accountability Office;
  4. A federal employee responsible for contract oversight or management at the relevant agency;
  5. An authorized official at the Department of Justice or other law enforement agency;
  6. A court or grand jury;
  7. A management official or other employee of the University who has the responsibility to investigate, discover, or address misconduct.

An employee who believes that he or she has been discharged, demoted, or otherwise discriminated against may submit a complaint with the Inspector General of the most appropriate federal agency. Procedures for submitting fraud, waste, abuse, and whistleblower complaints are generally accessible on Office of Inspector General Hotline or Whistleblower Internet sites.  A complaint by the employee may not be brought more than three years after the date on which the alleged reprisal took place.