Explore UAB

Tinsley Harrison Internal Medicine Residency Program

Providing comprehensive clinical training with an emphasis on clinical reasoning in a supportive and caring learning environment

Our residents provide exceptional care for a diverse patient population with complex medical needs. Our program structure is designed to provide a diverse array of clinical experiences and progressive autonomy, so our residents are well prepared to manage any clinical situation upon graduation.


Comprised of 120 residents from across the country and around the globe

Approximately 70% of our residents enter subspecialty fellowships, with the remaining 30% entering various types of careers in general internal medicine. Each year, approximately half of our residents decide to stay at UAB for their fellowship training.

Learn more


Work with faculty who are committed to excellence

Whether you are preparing for future practice in general internal medicine, further subspecialty training, or a research career, you will benefit from UAB’s broad exposure to comprehensive internal medicine and vast educational and research opportunities.

Learn more

Resident Life

Big city amenities paired with southern hospitality

We have everything from farmers markets and art festivals to urban parks and performances by our very own St. Paul and the Broken Bones and the Alabama Shakes. Birmingham is a city that has something for everyone, and it is a vibrant backdrop for the extraordinary residency training we experience.

Learn more